Is the APA new?

I have chosen APA for the style as I did about a year ago. However, now it seems that APA cites in the body of the paper with the name and year. Previously when I chose APA style I was able to cite in the body of the paper with just a number at the end of the sentence. Is there a way to change this back to a number instead of all the vocab?
  • APA style has never used a number in the text - neither in Zotero nor in any verion of the APA's manual - you're misremembering this.
    Zotero offers you hundreds of choices of styles that do, though - among those included with Zotero Nature, Vancouver, and IEEE; and more than 350 others on http://zotero.org/styles (select "numeric" and "show only unique styles")
  • Ok thanks Adam! I know I had numbers in the body of the paper and thought I used APA, my mistake,
  • Is there a way to change the numbers so they don't stand out so much? They are blue currently.
  • Are the numbers blue or just the shading behind them? If the latter, that's just a display feature (if you really want to I think you can turn that off in Word) - it won't appear when you print or save as PDF.
  • Hi.

I am writing a paper for a conference and the instructions state the following:

References in the text should be indicated with Arabical numerals in brackets. List the numbered references consecutively at the end of the text.

For journals
    García-Ortega, A. (2012). Trazado y construcción de arquerías en los inicios del gótico andaluz. Estudio del caso cordobés. Informes de la Construcción, 64(527): 275-286, doi:10.3989/ic.11.058.

For books
    Taylor, H. F. W. (1990) Cement Chemistry. New York. Academia Press, Inc

I found that this corresponds to APA. However, it seems that there is no such APA style that uses numeric text citation.

Does any of you have in mind anything that can be helpful to me or do I have to do it manually. I am not savvy enough to change the code, unfortunately...

Thank you for any help, in advance.
  • APA to my knowledge has always been an (author, date) style citation format. (I think it's now in its 5th or 6th edition). The ones that use numbering as your instructions specify are usually mathematics or science oriented. adamsmith listed a few of the more common ones above - Nature, Vancouver, IEEE. Conferences aren't usually terribly picky about the exact format of citations, so long as they're of the general type preferred in the discipline (unlike journal submissions, sadly).
  • what Alan says re: APA is correct. That said, modifying APA for your needs really shouldn't be terribly hard using the visual CSL editor:
    http://editor.citationstyles.org/about/
  • I see. Thank you very much Both! Much appreciated. I ll try to use the editor to modify it, then.
  • it took me some time but I finally made it! thanks a lot for the help, i wouldnt have made it without your advice!