Organizing PDFs/Files

I've been trying to find organization software which would help me organize the unruly stack of papers I have lining my desk.

One feature I want is the ability to manage electronic copies (e.g. PDFs) of papers stored on my Hard Drive. (Sounded like a very good idea when I read about it in Nature [http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080430/full/453012b.html]) Although Zotero wasn't mentioned as an option in the article, it appears that Zotero has the ability to associate files with the bibliographic records, but unfortunately the documentation is largely silent on the details.

I've read all the documentation, but I still don't have enough understanding of how Zotero manages files in order to formulate reasonable questions. Some initial thoughts: Where does Zotero keep the attached pdfs? Can I change that location? Can I open the pdfs in that folder without going through Zotero? How are those files named (is it some internal gibberish/id numbering scheme)? Can I rename them? Can I move them? If the pdf moves, does Zotero have a way of keeping track of it? Can I store the attached pdfs on removable media (e.g. CDs), or will Zotero get confused? If I have a folder of pdfs already, how do I go adding them to references? Can I tell Zotero to download and associate a pdf from the web in one step, or do I have to download-then-associate? If I have multiple copies of my Zotero library on different computers, do my pdfs get synced when I sync my references? What if I don't want to copy my multi-MB pdf library when syncing? If I don't copy my pdfs when syncing one time, will trying to sync-with-copy later break the associations? How do I backup my pdf/reference associations? Does that require copying my multi-MB pdf library? Can I export my reference/pdf linkages? Is there any program besides Zotero which I will be able to import this into?

I'd like to avoid spending a large amount of time entering in my papers, only to find out that the effort is wasted because Zotero doesn't meet my needs.
  • You might consider just trying Zotero & also browsing these forums a bit more to see if it is a good match.
    Where does Zotero keep the attached pdfs?
    In the storage directory.
    Can I change that location?
    You can change the storage directory, but the ability to customize the automatically-generated subdirectories & filenames is still somewhat limited.
    Can I open the pdfs in that folder without going through Zotero?
    Yes, per caveat about possible difficulties finding PDFs, above.
    How are those files named (is it some internal gibberish/id numbering scheme)?
    By default, they were stored in a subdirectory whose name is the zotero item number & the original filename is retained. See:

http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/2160/

for attachment renaming.
    Can I rename them? Can I move them? If the pdf moves, does Zotero have a way of keeping track of it?
    Somewhat possible, but can be tedious.
    Can I store the attached pdfs on removable media (e.g. CDs), or will Zotero get confused?
    You can store your entire zotero library on a USB stick or an external hard drive. CDs might not be very comfortable to work with if you add PDFs.
    If I have a folder of pdfs already, how do I go adding them to references?
    With elbowgrease.
    Can I tell Zotero to download and associate a pdf from the web in one step, or do I have to download-then-associate?
    Zotero is often able to download a PDF when you add a reference to your library. If you find that it doesn't do this for your site, it will be the two-step process.
    If I have multiple copies of my Zotero library on different computers, do my pdfs get synced when I sync my references?
    Syncing is still in beta.
    How do I backup my pdf/reference associations?
    They'll be backed up if you regularly backup your storage directory. Some export formats give you the option to additionally export attachments.
    Does that require copying my multi-MB pdf library?
    You can exclude PDFs, but then they wouldn't be backed up/exported.
    Is there any program besides Zotero which I will be able to import this into?
    Currently, files are only exported when you use the Zotero-specific RDF (I don't know of other programs that use it, but it is a straight-forward format). You can export the citation information in a variety of standard formats, though.
    I'd like to avoid spending a large amount of time entering in my papers, only to find out that the effort is wasted because Zotero doesn't meet my needs.
    So spend a small amount of time entering a subset of papers & see if it suits you!
  • I think I understand better now. I think I had a mistaken impression at the aim of Zotero. I saw the attach file feature, and the comparison to iTunes, and assumed that Zotero was aiming at becoming a document manager. I realize now that that isn't the case -- it's sole aim is to be a bibliographic information manager, and the ability to associate documents to bibliographic information is a tacked-on afterthough. (Icing on the cake, if you will.) This, then, explains the lack of documentation on the feature. (This was also one of the reasons I posted here instead of just trying it out - the support for the file attach feature seemed spotty at best, and I wanted to gauge the community support for this usage.)

If Zotero *does* want to become a document manager, it would need to have a better support for inport/export/management of pdfs. My thoughts are certainly along the same lines of Brent in the discussion you linked.

That said, I am looking for a bibliographic information manager too, and Zotero looks pretty good in that regard. Reading the forums, however, I'm concerned about the lack of duplicate detection. - One of the main reasons I want need a bibliographic information manager is to be able to tell me if a paper is new to me, or if I have read it before. Oh, well.
  • I can assure you Zotero was always engineered to be more than just a "bibliographic information manager."

Import of PDFs is as simple as dragging them into Zotero. If you are importing a RIS file with references containing file links, those files will be attached. The same will be true for BibTeX in 1.0.7. Export of PDFs is as simple as dragging them out of Zotero. Management involves dragging them around. Not sure how much easier it could be.

Duplicate detection is under active development right now. It's a sticky problem when done correctly, but we're very close to offering something.
  • I would like to comment that the above has not been true for me. I have been trying to import PDFs into zotero with no success using the BibTeX format and Zotero v 1.0.7.
    My BibTeX files have a field like
    PDF= {/Users/rav/Documents/PDF/Wang_2006.pdf},

but zotero does not copy the file or import the link.

I would like to try the RIS format but I don't know what should be the keyword that Zotero would understand as a PDF.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
  • Have you updated your translators? That syntax WorksForMe in 1.0.7 (in that it will blindly rewrite what you give it as a 'file://' URI).

I don't really like how PDF support is currently implemented for BibTeX, though--'pdf=' isn't commonly used by other programs & Zotero should be able to intelligently parse the more common 'file=' and 'url='. Furthermore, the current URI scheme is dumb--it only works for 'file://' URIs (when 'http://' and 'https://' probably aren't uncommon) and assumes that it is written in a particular way (i.e. with no URI prefix, but an otherwise global link to the file which will work if one just add the URI prefix).

As far as I can tell, the RIS translator doesn't yet import PDFs. I could be missing something, though.
  • Sean said: "Export of PDFs is as simple as dragging them out of Zotero". That doesn't work for me (Firefox 3, Zotero 1.0.7, Windows XP).
  • That is a known issue under Windows:

https://www.zotero.org/trac/ticket/1065
  • "Have you updated your translators? "
    yes, I just tried that again and still Zotero would not import the PDFs.
    v.1.0.7
    Mac OS X Leopard
    Firefox 3 (doesn't work in 2.0.* either)

Why is this working for other people an not for me? I am modifying the PDF links in the BibText file with a perl script. I could re-format them in whatever zotero would understand.
  • Because of the size of the BibTeX import/export file it does not get pushed out every time you update your translators. If you reset your translators and styles you should get the most up to date BibTeX import/export file.
  • That's what i did. I clicked on the bottom that says "Reset Translators and Styles..." under the Advanced tab in Preferences.
    Still doesn't import PDFs.