AMS MathSciNet and Euclid translators not working

When I am at AMS MathSciNet site

http://www.ams.org/mathscinet/search/publdoc.html?arg3=&co4=AND&co5=AND&co6=AND&co7=AND&dr=all&pg4=AUCN&pg5=TI&pg6=AUCN&pg7=ALLF&pg8=ET&review_format=html&s4=durrett&s5=&s6=&s7=&s8=Books&vfpref=html&yearRangeFirst=&yearRangeSecond=&yrop=eq&r=3&mx-pid=2722836

and try to save it to Zotero, I get
"An error occurred while saving this item. Check Known Translator Issues for more information."
Nothing is saved to Zotero.

The same happens at mirror site:

http://ams.rice.edu/mathscinet/search/publdoc.html?arg3=&co4=AND&co5=AND&co6=AND&co7=AND&dr=all&pg4=AUCN&pg5=TI&pg6=PC&pg7=ALLF&pg8=ET&review_format=html&s4=durrett&s5=&s6=&s7=&s8=Books&vfpref=html&yearRangeFirst=&yearRangeSecond=&yrop=eq&r=3&mx-pid=2722836

I can save things from other places, e.g. New York Times, Wikipedia, journal web pages fine. Except, I also have a problem with the Euclid translator getting the pdf, e.g. here:
Project Euclid
http://projecteuclid.org/DPubS?service=UI&version=1.0&verb=Display&handle=euclid.dmj/1385661571

Zotero successfully saves the page, but a red X appears when it tries to get the pdf (and the pdf does not get saved to zotero). I am on campus (so not using a proxy), and am able to get the pdf myself by clicking the link (without entering any password or agreeing to terms and conditions).

I am running the latest version of Zotero standalone (with latest version of translators) with chrome connector.

I am on Mac OX 10.9.

When I hover over the Zotero icon in both cases above it shows the correct translator.
  • I can reproduce the Euclid problem - there's something odd about the PDF handling on the site (you can try this out yourself: open the pdf in Chrome, copy the URL from the urlbar and open it in a new browser Window --> Instead of the PDF you get the html landing page of the article. Maybe aurimas has an idea how to solve this, I don't).

AMS works fine for me, though. Could you provide the information under 12 here - we'd want an error reprot ID from the Chrome connector, not from Zotero Standalone.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues
  • Here is the error report ID from the chrome connector:
    Report ID:882932448
  • @Dan - what does that say?
  • Cannot read property 'id' of undefined" {file: "chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/background.js" line: 75}
  • hmm - mmwood: Wat are the other version numbers of the software involved? Zotero, Chrome, and Zotero's Chrome connector?
  • I can reproduce the Euclid problem - there's something odd about the PDF handling on the site (you can try this out yourself: open the pdf in Chrome, copy the URL from the urlbar and open it in a new browser Window --> Instead of the PDF you get the html landing page of the article. Maybe aurimas has an idea how to solve this, I don't).
    They rely on the HTTP Referer header to prevent direct linking/downloading. I'll see if we can easily add support for that.

The error being thrown is quite odd. @mmwood, if you have any other Chrome extensions installed, please disable them and try again. (and of course please provide the information requested by adamsmith)
  • Zotero Connector 4.0.8.2

Zotero standalone 4.0.16

Chrome Version 31.0.1650.63

all on OS X 10.9

The only other chrome extension I had was Google docs, and after disabling it, and restarting Chrome and Zotero standalone, I get the same behavior from AMS MathSciNet.

Here is a Report ID:849757524
    from the most recent attempt on AMS MathSciNet (the first link I gave above), post-disabling all other Chrome extensions. (The same behavior occurs on any other AMS MathSciNet page I try as well.)

There is another error I can see where I go to get a report ID ("Zotero Connector has experienced the following errors since it was first started:") in chrome besides the one Dan Stillman copied above. It is ""Unexpected identifier" ... inject/translate_inject.js" line 50"
  • @mmwood,

Make sure that all of your translators are up to date Preferences -> General -> Check Now (in Zotero Standalone). Then restart Chrome.

Could you provide Debug IDs from both Chrome and Zotero Standalone for the same attempt to save from AMS. Just enable debug logging in Chrome and in Standalone (instructions for both are on that page), try to save the item, and then submit both logs.

@Dan, Simon

FWIW, I am able to reproduce Cannot read property 'id' of undefined" {file: "chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/background.js" line: 75}

I tracked it down to the "Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar" option. Apparently, what happens is that when this option is selected, Chrome loads a https://www.google.com/webhp?... page somewhere in the background. Since it is not being loaded in a tab, the messaging system does not pass a tab object to the background page and onPageLoad throws that error. The simplest solution, IMO, is to just do this.onPageLoad = function(tab) {
    if(tab) _clearInfoForTab(tab.id);
    }

Anyway, that error would have nothing to do with the translator not working on the AMS website.
  • My translators were up to date. Then I restarted chrome. From attempt to save from AMS here are

Standalone Debug ID is D2010585249.

Chrome Debug ID is D1041150417.
  • (4)(+0003932): Translate: Parsing code for AMS MathSciNet

(3)(+0000002): Translate: Beginning translation with AMS MathSciNet

(3)(+0000002): HTTP GET http://www.ams.org/mathscinet/search/publications.html?fmt=bibtex&b=2722836

(3)(+0000001): HTTP POST {} to http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/getSelectedCollection

(3)(+0000004): Connector: Method getSelectedCollection succeeded

(3)(+0000219): Translate: Creating translate instance of type import in sandbox

(3)(+0000002): HTTP POST {"translatorID":"9cb70025-a888-4a29-a210-93ec52da40d4"} to
    http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/getTranslatorCode

(3)(+0000008): Connector: Method getTranslatorCode succeeded

(4)(+0000014): Translate: Binding sandbox to
    http://www.ams.org/mathscinet/search/publdoc.html?arg3=&co4=AND&co5=AND&co6=AND&co7=AND&dr=all&pg4=AUCN&pg5=TI&pg6=AUCN&pg7=ALLF&pg8=ET&review_format=html&s4=durrett&s5=&s6=&s7=&s8=Books&vfpref=html&yearRangeFirst=&yearRangeSecond=&yrop=eq&r=3&mx-pid=2722836

(4)(+0000001): Translate: Parsing code for BibTeX

(2)(+0000010): Translate: Translation using BibTeX failed:
    string => SyntaxError: Unexpected identifier
    stack => SyntaxError: Unexpected identifier
    at Object.Zotero.Translate.SandboxManager.eval (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/inject/translate_inject.js:50:9)
    at Object.Zotero.Translate.Base._loadTranslator (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/zotero/translation/translate.js:1485:25)
    at Object.Zotero.Translate.Import._loadTranslator (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/zotero/translation/translate.js:1958:50)
    at chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/zotero/translation/translate.js:1145:10
    at chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/messaging_inject.js:78:19
    mmwood: Try resetting translators in the Advanced -> Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences.
  • Resetting translators solved the AMS problem. On the general troubleshooting page it said "In rare cases where the address bar icon isn't appearing on any sites or saving is failing on all sites where the icon appears, there may be a problem with your translators directory. (This is extremely unlikely unless you've edited translators yourself or have your Zotero data directory stored in a service such as Dropbox, which is strongly discouraged.) Select “Reset Translators” from the Advanced pane of the preferences or manually delete the 'translators' directory from your Zotero data directory and restart Standalone/Firefox." since the beginning of that didn't apply to me I didn't reset translators originally, but perhaps it is a good general troubleshooting tip?
  • Since it doesn't hurt, I guess we could suggest that with a bit less restraint, yes. It is indeed quite rare, though. You don't happen to have your Zotero data folder in a custom location like Dropbox, do you?
  • Nope, just in whatever default place it was installed.
  • I am having the same problem with AMS MathSciNet that I described in my first post above.

Report ID:584976079 from chrome connector
    The Debug ID from the chrome connector is D998049567.

The Debug ID from Zotero standalone is D1352198993.

Mac OS X 10.9
    Chrome Version 31.0.1650.63
    Zotero Connector 4.0.8.2
    Zotero Standalone 4.0.17

All translators up to date.

AND, resetting translators now does NOT solve the problem, even though it did once previously.
  • Dan? What does the debug say?
  • Translate: Translation using BibTeX failed:
    string => SyntaxError: Unexpected identifier
    stack => SyntaxError: Unexpected identifier
    at Object.Zotero.Translate.SandboxManager.eval (chrome-extension://ekhagklcjbdpajgpjgmbionohlpdbjgc/inject/translate_inject.js:50:9)
    Still this.

mmwood: Are you running any sort of security/proxy software?
  • I am not running any security or proxy software. I am on campus at a university, and the university puts a "Find It" button on the AMS MathSciNet that links to our library.

I tried downloading Zotero for firefox and the firefox connector, and both Standalone with FF connector and Zotero in FF, work fine on the AMS MathSciNet page.

I also tried disabling in chrome "Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the address bar" and that gets rid of the error aurimas indicated above, but it does not fix the problem with AMS MathSciNet.
  • could you find your Zotero data directory - http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data - and in the folder "translators" in it find the file BibTeX.js . Open it with TextEdit and copy&paste the entire content to a public gist at gist.github.com and provide the URL here.
  • Here is the paste of BibTeX.js
    https://gist.github.com/anonymous/8285514
  • did you ever install a custom version of this? Or done anything else that would have resulted in a custom bibtex translator being installed? This doesn't look like Zotero's bibtex translator at all, including e.g. a ""citeKeyFormat" preference that I'm pretty sure has never existed in the official bibtex translator.
  • I'd guess that mmwood has zotero-better-bibtex (or something similar) installed and it keeps reinstalling a custom (and perhaps broken) version of the translator.
  • edited January 6, 2014
    yep that's it - and it deletes, for whatever reason - the import part of the bibtex translator, while maintaining the same ID.
    Reported here:
    https://github.com/friflaj/zotero-better-bibtex/issues/7
    edit: it's not actually removing the import part, but the changes in the bibtex translator are definitely the issue here.
  • If you have BBT enabled, you are importing using the BibLaTex importer. I've published a new version that doesn't overwrite the existing bibtex exporter, but it won't make a difference, as the plugin adds a translator that responds to bibtex-formatted imports with higher precedence than the standard bibtex importer. It's easily verified; disable the BBT plugin, restart, and attempt the import again.

I can't access the AMS site (it's password protected), so I can't test what's going wrong; could you add a GIST of the bibtex file available at that link and add it to the github issue?
  • Hold on, I have access via university VPN. I've tried to import, both the "BibTex" generated from the dropdown and via the in-address-bar Zotero icon, and I'm not seeing any problems.
  • mmwood: could you enable debug logging and capture what happens during import?
  • Dan posted the relevant debug above
  • Yes, no need for further info from mmwood. The error is above. I assume it's either an outdated (and invalid) version of the extension or a much larger version that's not being transferred in full between Standalone and Chrome.
  • Is that all? I'm used to there being line numbers of the translator itself in the debug log, plus at least some minimum activity of the translator. From this log file, it looks like the translator (whichever of the two it is) is not being loaded at all.

@mmwood: could you please allow BBT to update to 0.0.49, and re-try the import? 0.0.49 has its own guid, so it ought to be clearer which translator is bombing out, and where. I can't currently reproduce the problem myself, so I'm dependant on your logs.
  • note that this only fails on Standalone with Chrome, not in Firefox.
  • edited January 6, 2014
    I tried the Chrome extension, and it does indeed report the error. But that can't be caused by BBT, right? I thought the Crome connector came with its own translators, it doesn't download the translators from Zotero right?