New Firefox but how to import existing library?

Recently my OS crashed so I had to get it replaced (now Windows 7). This also meant installing Firefox all over again, as well as the add-on for Zotero (and the add-on for Word). When I log into Zotero on the website, I can see my whole library is there. I used to back it up regularly, as well, presumably onto my hard drive.

However, the Zotero add-on on Firefox is open, but there are no items in there. I'm worried about syncing, and mistakenly overriding what I have online with what I have in the add-on (currently nothing). I obviously don't want to lose all my data that exists online and maybe somewhere on my hard drive (where do I find this?)

I read a few of the existing forum threads but got very lost and wasn't sure whether they apply to my situation anyway.

I have Firefox 26.0 and have downloaded Zotero 4.0.16.

Basically, if my back up on my hard drive is still there, where would it have gone automatically? (I remember something about a profile or?) And how do I get this backed up library back onto my add-on so I can see it and continue adding to it?

Hope this makes sense,
thanks in advance for the help.
Amy
  • 1. You can just sync. Zotero only deletes item on the server that you have manually deleted locally. Syncing a fresh Zotero install with a populated online library will transfer the online library to your local copy of Zotero

2. If you do have attachments that aren't synced online it's still worth looking for your old Zotero folder. The info here may help:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#where_did_my_items_go
  • Thanks so much for the quick response! I just needed to know the whole thing wasn't going to disappear because I pressed sync, so thanks for the clarification.