Problems inserting citations into document

I am running Microsoft Word for Mac, and using the downloaded Zotero software.

I can never get Zotero to cite properly using the default view. It simply puts a footnote number, then says {citation} after it.

If I refresh, and go to the Zotero screen and attempt to do it, it returns an error.

The only way it works is if I go to classic view from the document itself.

Help! Thanks
  • what error exactly?
  • Document modified during update @[setCode:field.m:585]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationField::setCode]

The greater problem is not being able to use the default method of inserting and it simply putting {citation} in the footnote.

Thanks!
  • edited December 3, 2013
    Could you say what exactly happens - i.e. step by step what you are doing? This seems like you don't finish inserting the citation. Has this ever worked for you?
  • It's never worked --classic view works fine.

I press "add citation" and get the red window. I enter the info. Is there something I'm not doing? I've tried hitting return and tried just going on with the document. Either way doesn't work.
  • So what should work is:
    1. search for citation
    2. select the citation from the list (either by mouse or using arrows and enter)
    3. press enter to confirm. The red quick format bar disappears and the citation is entered.

If that doesn't work (i.e. you still get the empty {citation}
    Could you please provide an error Report ID and confirm the version numbers of Word, your OS, Zotero, Firefox if you're using the add-on, as well as the Zotero Word add-on?
    Thanks.
  • I followed the instructions.

Here's the error citation.

'Document modified during update @[setCode:field.m:585]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationField::setCode]
    Operating system: OS X 10.9 (13A603)
    Word 11 for Mac: 14.3.9
    Zotero standalone 4.0.11

Where do I locate the version info for the Zotero Word add-in?

I'm using Safari 7.0 but I don't know where to find the info for the Zotero add-in for Safari.

Sorry I'm so thick-headed on this --just began using the software.

Thanks for the help.
  • For a start, update Zotero Standalone to 4.0.16 - maybe that will do it already. Since the Word plugin ships with Zotero Standalone, no need to check the version (though you can find it under tools--> add-ons in Zotero) The Safari connector isn't relevant for this, so don't worry about its version number.
  • That appears to have worked! Thanks.