Pagination

Zotero appears to enter pagination only in in-text citations and not in the bibliography. Am I correct? What do I do with a style that wants pagination entered in the bibliography and not in the in-text citation? I am dealing with the American Chemical Society author-date style.
  • Specific passages cited cannot be added to the bibliography, correct. (Full page ranges as for journal articles or chapter, of course, can). I don't think there's much we can do about this at this time or in the near future - the ACS style is particularly weird in its hybrid requirements on citation/bibliography: Logically it makes very little sense to add specific page ranges to a bibliography entry.
  • Why can't there be a "pages" field in the template for books so a person can enter where in the book they found the information? This would then be listed in the bibliography (as required) with a "p" or "pp" in front of the pages cited.

Example:
    Tatar, M. M., Ed. The Classic Fairy Tales: Texts, Criticism, 1st ed.; W.W. Norton & Company: New York, 1998; pp 30-35.
  • A number of technical reasons, but not least the fact that this would mean that you'd have to create a separate entry for the same book every time you want to cite a different passage, which makes no sense at all.

Why are you so insistant on using ACS style, btw? It's also just not intended for book-heavy manuscripts - if you look at actual ACS articles, maybe one in 50 or 100 citations is to a book.
  • This style has been used for years by our state division, EPA and others connected with chemisty-related writing.
  • edited December 3, 2013
    While we do have the ACS style down for eventual implementation, in the meantime, I'm curious what it's advantages are (apart from consistency with past practice). I've also been curious when the style in its current form first emerged.
  • I know very little about the history of the style. The first manual for authors was published in 1967. A more comprehensive manual was published in 1987. The overall publication style includes standards for chemical nomenclature, chemical structure, numbering, units, and so forth. I do not know when the bibliography style came about. We have been using this style since at least 1987, but no one knew where it came from until I dug up the information recently. One worker just followed the pattern of the worker before. Only recent issues with citation of online publications lead to questions of standardization.