Filter for IMDB

If it is easy to do, it would be nice to have a filter for IMDB (Internet Movie DataBase, imdb.com). There are a lot of cultural studies people who use films, and IMDB seems to be the standard for finding them because it has, as far as I know, the most extensive list of films and television shows. It also is easy to use and tends to have complete information about each film or show. Would be worth doing if it is easy, but not if it takes too much work since film citations don't require a lot of information.
  • Ditto. Point of order, though: Is this sort of thing Import/Export, or Site Translators? Please reply, as I posted a similar comment about Google Video in the Site Translators forum. Maybe it belongs here...
  • It's Translators (and jbrune or a moderator can move it to the right category).
  • I concur and support your suggestion. I would also like to recommend the integration of Metacritic.com and rottentomatoes.com for critical metrics of same movies.
  • An IMDB filter would also make my work easier.

Thanks
  • I think i have to bump this - IMDB is not absolutely required, but ANY site that lets you add movies with a click in a mostly correct way would be great. IMDB is just the most famous. I tried loads of libraries, and the normal import options for movies almost always drop the ball.
  • FYI, you can import movies from Amazon.
  • but the quality of the data is awful. Same is true for worldcat.
    I don't work with movies, but for those who do IMDB would indeed be great.
  • Please, please on an imdb filter. Surely a no-brainer.

So many academics use video materials now in research and teaching.

More, it would further promote zotero as something that organizes your *various types* of data and would be appealing to non-researchers interested in cataloging their VHS/DVD etc collections.

Please!
  • I would indeed have no problem to add movies by using Amazon, if that worked. But as most libraries, amazon doesn´t do the following:

- really differentiate between contributors (director / actor / scriptwriter). If you have a move based on a book, more often than not the author of said book will be added as director and/or screenwriter.

- allow you to add two dates in different fields (when the movie first came out, when the current edition you use has been published).

Other problems (and there are lots of them) are just niggling details. But adding movies to Zotero right now is a pain - you are most of the time better of to go to IMDB and just add everything by hand.
  • I add my vote for an IMDB filter. I'm using Zotero as a "library of everything" that I've seen or read for my own future academic and life reference (future collaboration and cloud data storage too) and it would be very good to have this option
  • I‌ gave this a try, using the API from imdbapi.com:

Please go to http://github.com/ajlyon/zotero-bits/raw/master/IMDB.js and save the file to the translators directory of your Zotero data directory (http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data).

It should start working. Please post any problems here-- I'm sure there are still loose ends to take care of.
  • And you'll need to restart Firefox after adding the translator.
  • Wow, works great! Note: a restart of your browser is needed. Thanks :)
  • Please put this through its paces and let me know what issues come up.
  • The new translator for IMDb shipped in Zotero 2.1.7.

This thread can probably be closed-- if problems arise with the translator, open new threads for them. Hope the translator proves useful.
This discussion has been closed.