Cannot Open PDF attachments

With the new Zotero Upgrade, I can no longer open PDF attachments within zotero. I have the Mac OSX 10.9 operating system. Help! My files are being held hostage and I have work to do!
  • (but if you need this quickly, right-click --> open in external viewer has a good chance of working).
  • Im not getting any error messages, it just doesn't do anything, and the right click option isn't coming up. I have it automatically linked to Preview which its been doing correctly forever. When I look to open it from OPEN RECENT in Preview the document shows, but not as a PDF. Yet in Zotero, it has the PDF document icon in it.
  • Im not getting any error messages
    Meaning "Report Errors" is grayed out?
    and the right click option isn't coming up
    What do you mean by this? Remember, we can't see your screen. We can't help you unless you tell us exactly what you're doing and what you see on screen.
    When I look to open it from OPEN RECENT in Preview the document shows, but not as a PDF.
    I don't know what you mean by this.

I understand you're frustrated and in a rush, but there's just no way we can help you unless you take the time to explain clearly what the problem is. Please read the page I linked to above carefully.
  • are you online or in Zotero Standalone/for Firefox?
    What happens if you right-click on the attachment and select "Show File"?
  • edited November 22, 2013
    1. Report Errors is greyed out.
    2. When I right click on the file there is no "open in external viewer option". I click view PDF and nothing happens. I click 'Show File" and it shows a non-pdf version in some far off zotero storage file.
    3. If I try to open the file from Preview through "Open Recent" it shows the non-pdf version.

I ran the terminal error report and this is what came up:

[removed terminal output — D.S.]

4. I am using the zotero application and not through a browser window.
    5. I appreciate your patience and guidance, and your right, I don't have time for this but since my PDF files are bring held hostage and Im mostly computer illiterate, I appreciate the help.
  • I click 'Show File" and it shows a non-pdf version in some far off zotero storage file.
    What does it show, exactly? What non-PDF version? We really need specifics.
  • When I right click on the file there is no "open in external viewer option". I click view PDF and nothing happens. I click 'Show File" and it shows a non-pdf version in some far off zotero storage file.
    Is this happening with all of your PDFs?
    What is the file extension that you see when you click "Show File"?
    Where did you import this PDF from (if this isn't the case for all PDFs)?
  • The 'non-pdf' version has no icon, just a blank white piece of paper. Its filed in a folder under storage named CJ34TSK9. Its not happening with all my PDF's but there is no discernible pattern to why its happening with some and not others. All my PDF's have been imported from my university library connections. Various electronic journals, ect.
  • Again, what is the file extension (or the entire file name) of what's supposed to be your PDF after clicking "Show File"?

Focusing on this PDF in particular, where did you import the record from? You can figure that out by looking at the Library Catalog field for the item.

What icon does Zotero (i.e. in the middle pane of Zotero) show for the PDF?
  • And what happens if you double-click on the file you see after clicking "Show File"?
  • The file extension is the same as the PDF's name. Maybe I don't understand what you're asking? Library->Application Support->Zotero->Profiles->vgyvo7qa.default->Zotero->storage->CTEACP83

I downloaded the PDF from a electronic resource, manually imported the attachment, and created the parent item. This is how I do it every time and know no other way without it importing in a crazy unorganized way.

Zotero's icon is a page with PDF on it.
  • I'm also curious whether you recall to ever have been able to open those particular PDFs on your computer.
    Zotero doesn't change PDF files - it simply doesn't have the ability to do that - so either those files where never there in the first place or some other software did something to make them unreadable.
    The latter might be reversible, for that see Aurimas's questions
  • edited November 22, 2013
    The file extension is the same as the PDF's name. Maybe I don't understand what you're asking? Library->Application Support->Zotero->Profiles->vgyvo7qa.default->Zotero->storage->CTEACP83
    What you describe is a "path" to the PDF.

"something.pdf" would be the complete file name

".pdf" is the file extension (characters after the last period)

From what you're saying above, I understand that the complete filename is "something" and there is no file extension.

If I am correct, have you renamed your PDFs through Zotero? E.g. using right-click -> "Rename File from Parent Metadata" or using the ZotFile extension to do this automatically?

Edit: Or even by clicking on the PDF title in the right pane, then changing the title and selecting "Rename associated file"?

Edit 2: @Dan, this has been bugging me for a while actually. Zotero should do some sanity-checking when renaming associated file. If the user does not enter an extension for the title, Zotero should append existing extension. Do you agree?
  • And again, what happens if you just double-click on the file you see after clicking Show File?

It also sounds like you're saying above that you can open the "non-PDF" files in Preview. But those are still PDFs, even if they've been renamed somehow, and should still display fine in Preview. Is that not the case? If not, what does opening in Preview mean?

aurimas: Yes, but let's discuss in a separate thread.