References in Zotero not showing up in MS Word

I have a bunch of references entered in Zotero, but when I am in MS Word and try to create a citation, about half of my references are not available to me to insert. I have checked all of them to make sure they have all the right information. I've closed and reopened both MS Word and Zotero, but the same references will not show up each time. The ones that are not showing up happen to be the last ones in my Zotero list, but they are last in my list just because their titles are last alphabetically.
  • Are you using Zotero Standalone or Zotero for Firefox? Also, just to be totally clear, you're looking one of those two local clients, not on the website, right? (What's on the website is irrelevant to the Word plugin, which talks directly to the local client. So if you have data on the website, you need to sync the local client and make sure it's there.)
  • I'm using the Standalone and there's no website involved. I have MS Word and Zotero both open locally on my computer. I see all the references listes in Zotero, but some of them are unavailable to me in Word.
  • Can you add a new reference that will show up?
  • Yep. As long as the new reference is alphabetically higher on the list than the ones that aren't showing up.
  • that seems like it might be a display issue then?
    Have you tried using the quick format bar? Or searching for the references in question?
  • If that's not it, the only other idea I have is that one corrupted reference is stopping the items from being sent to the plugin - have you tried deleting the reference right after the last one being displayed?
  • You should also provide a Report ID.

And say if you're using the quick format bar (the red bar) or the classic view.
  • I am using the quick format (red) bar and when I try typing in the author's name, it is not recognized. I can't imagine how it would be corrupted because these are references I manually typed into Zotero.

I hadn't even tried to use the classic view, but I just did so and it allowed me to add the references needed. So, my problem is solved, but it's still perplexing that they won't come up with the quick format bar. I'll submit a report.
  • Note that you have to post the Report ID here.
  • There is no Report ID. I don't get any error messages.
  • As in, "Report Errors" is grayed out? If you mean something other than that, you're not following the linked instructions.
  • Yes, there are no error codes.
  • You're not answering my question. Is the "Report Errors" menu option greyed out?
  • I did answer your question. See the "yes" above.
  • the quick format bar searches by author or title. Do the items in question show up when you search by their title?
  • edited November 19, 2013
    I did answer your question. See the "yes" above.
    No, you said 1) you "don't get any error messages" and 2) "there are no error codes". Neither of those makes it clear that you're actually looking in the right place to report errors (and, in fact, both strongly imply that you're not). If you're looking in the gear menu and "Report Errors" is greyed out, that's fine, and we'll debug this further, but you need to say so, explicitly, so we can be sure we're not wasting each other's time overlooking information that's available.