Site translation request - SOLO (Oxford library catalogue)

I used to be able to save citations direct from the Oxford library catalogue but now seem to be having problems doing that.

See, eg, A Ashworth and Horder, J, Principles of Criminal Law (7th ed, OUP 2013)

which comes up as

<span class=‘searchword’>Ashworth</span> A, <span class=‘searchword’>Principles</span> of <span Class=‘searchword’>criminal</span> <span Class=‘searchword’>law</span> (7th edition.., Oxford University Press 2013)

Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • I can't replicate that. Which Zotero version are you using?
  • Regular vanilla zotero.... as a standalone... I don't use MLZ as I don't like Firefox and it is not (or was not?) compatible with Chrome.

Another example,
    Herring J, Criminal Law: Text, Cases, and Materials (5th edn, OUP 2012)

comes up through Zotero as

<span class=‘searchword’>Herring</span> J, <span class=‘searchword’>Criminal</span> <span Class=‘searchword’>law</span> : Text, Cases, and Materials (5th ed.., Oxford University Press 2012)
  • which version of Standalone (check "about Zotero") in the gears menu?
    Which version of the Chrome connector? (check under Tools-->Extensions in Chrome).

This should have been fixed many month ago and the fix works reliably for me, both in Chrome and in Firefox.
  • Try updating your translators via Preferences -> General -> Update Now. Perhaps you have automatic updating turned off.
  • I am also having serious trouble with the SOLO translators. They practically never work. I have updated my translators but the problem persists. For example, trying to save Demystifying Social Statistics simply informs me that it was unable to save. I am using Chrome and Vanilla Zotero. Other translators seem to work.
  • Again, I was unable to save 'Elements of moral cognition : Rawl's linguistic analogy and the cognitive science of moral and legal judgment'
  • We'd need a debug ID for a failed import attempt together with the URL exactly as you see it.

It's not a general problem for those books & works fine for me. (It's also a different issue than the one above, which concerned span tags in imports, which we were aware of but had fixed before Natasha reported it)
  • Link is here: http://solo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/primo_library/libweb/action/display.do?tabs=detailsTab&ct=display&fn=search&doc=oxfaleph017819291&indx=1&recIds=oxfaleph017819291&recIdxs=0&elementId=0&renderMode=poppedOut&displayMode=full&frbrVersion=&dscnt=3&frbg=&scp.scps=scope%3A%28OX%29&tab=local&dstmp=1386089897635&srt=rank&mode=Basic&dum=true&vl(304942529UI1)=all_items&tb=t&vl(254947567UI0)=any&fromLogin=true&vl(1UIStartWith0)=contains&vl(freeText0)=Elements%20of%20moral%20cognition%20%3A%20Rawl%27s%20linguistic%20analogy%20and%20the%20cognitive%20science%20of%20moral%20and%20legal%20judgment&vid=OXVU1
  • edited December 3, 2013
    [deleted]
  • Sorry, debug ID is: D878196334. Shall I delete the text above?
  • Yes, please delete the output above, it's mostly webDAV errors anyway.

you're running an outdated version of Zotero Standalone, the most recent version is 4.0.16. Could you try updating that first? (and yes, please delete the text above).
    If updating Zotero Standalone doesn't do it, we'd need another debug ID, this time from the Chrome connector:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#zotero_connectors_chrome_and_safari
  • I've updated and there is still a problem. The Debug ID is D160738188.
  • @Dan - anything useful in there?
  • (3)(+0000002): HTTP GET http://solo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/primo_library/libweb/showPNX.jsp?id=0

(3)(+0000002): HTTP POST {} to http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/getSelectedCollection

(3)(+0000004): Connector: Method getSelectedCollection succeeded

(2)(+0000038): Translate: Translation using Primo failed:
    string => Error: Could not locate item type
    So probably a null showPNX response, as in that other thread. paultroop, if you have Chrome set to block certain cookies that could probably interfere with this.
  • Thanks for the response. No, I've checked - I do not block cookies with Chrome.
  • and you can reproduce that error consistently for those items? Or is it hit or miss?
    Which version of Chrome? Which version of the Zotero Chrome plugin? Also, though it shouldn't be necessary, please make sure to manually update your translators in the general tab of the Zotero preferences ("Update Now"), restart both Zotero and standalone and try again.
  • Also, if you visit http://solo.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/primo_library/libweb/showPNX.jsp?id=0 after loading a page but before clicking the Zotero save icon, do you see some data, or does it say "<error>null</error>"?
  • -It practically never works, though I was successful once yesterday. I have no idea what was different.
    -The Chrome version is: 21.0.1180.77 (though it seems to be updating now).
    - I have updated the translators previously with no success. I have also updated them again and restarted Zotero, but no success.
    - Zotero Connector for Chrome seems to be 3.0.8.1. Maybe this is the problem. I had not realised. I will install 4.x and report back.
  • I have removed 3.0.8.1, but it will now not let me install 4.0.8.2 from the Chrome store.
  • Ok, I think I've fixed it. I have updated Chrome to version 31.0.1650.63 and updated the plugin to 4.0.8.2 and it seems to be working now. Thank you for your patience.