LibreOffice plugin nonfunctional after system upgrade

I upgraded the distro on my laptop the other day and now find that the LibreOffice Zotero plugin does nothing.

Initially the toolbar was present as normal, but did not respond. I reinstalled the plugin, which threw a JNI error. I then ensured that a JRE was selected and tried again. The plugin reinstalled without apparent error, but now with no icons - only text appears on the toolbar. And it still does not function.

Zotero 4.0.14
Zotero LibreOffice Integration 3.5.8
LibreOffice 3.6.2.2
Ubuntu 12.10
Java java-7-openjdk-amd64 1.7.0_25
  • I dug a bit more and the only Zotero related error I could find was

[JavaScript Error: "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIServerSocket.init]" {file: "file:///home/chris/.mozilla/firefox/df1e993o.default/extensions/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration.js" line: 62}]

A look at the line in question:

serv.init(23116, true, -1);

So, try
    netstat -apn | grep 23116

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:23116 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 5623/okular

Shutting down okular and restarting Firefox and LibreOffice gives me functional buttons once more. Though they still have no icons.

Does anyone know if okular routinely grabs port 23116? If so, seems like there is a problem here. The whole reason I upgraded the distro was to get a modern enough version of okular to use in conjunction with Zotero to be able to save annotations in pdf

And any clues as to where the button icons went?
  • For anyone else whose Zotero toolbar icons go missing in LibreOffice, this is how I managed to solve it:

• remove the extension using LibreOffice's extension manager

• delete two folders in which there was evidence of the extension, in my case these where

• ~/.config/libreoffice/3/user/extensions/tmp/extensions/lurkleld.tmp_

• ~/.config/libreoffice/3/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/lurklelz.tmp_

• delete two corresponding empty files, ~/.config/libreoffice/3/user/extensions/tmp/extensions/lurkleld.tmp and ~/.config/libreoffice/3/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/lurklelz.tmp

• Reinstall the plugin from within Zotero