Folksonomy for zotero?

I don't currently use tags very much because it's fairly time consuming to enter all the data. As such, they aren't useful for searching or anything else. If there was a way to share tags with others, then I would definitely find the tags more useful, and would add some data.

I was thinking that a really good way to go about this would be something along the lines of what Last.fm does. You have an identifier for a single citation (DOI or ISBN ideally, but if not, then title and authors), and everyone adds their own tags, locally. These tags then get uploaded to a central server, and other users can pull these tags down on the basis of how many people have used them. So, say 100 users have added tags to a citation, then you can ask zotero to fetch all tags (or maybe the first 20) that have been submitted by at least 40% of those users. This basically gets only tags that have some kind of consensus, and avoids tags that are just wrong, or are misspelled. Optionally, it'd be good to be able to re-submit those tags to confirm the consensus. The user can then add their own tags that aren't commonly used, if necessary.

The one problem that Last.fm has, as a music site, is having useless tags like "favourite" or "seen live". Tagging apps that use Last.fm's database get around that problem by just having a blacklist for such tags. Zotero probably wouldn't suffer that problem to the same extent, but that might still be a good option.

Is there any chance that something like this might happen as part of core zotero, or should it be done as a plugin?
  • edited November 6, 2013
    Currently this isn't really possible as a plugin, since Zotero doesn't provide the type of API to do that - i.e. there is no way to retrieve all tags for the same item from all public groups and libraries.

It is my understanding that Zotero is working on a general framework that would allow that, but before that's out (at which point they may decide to add a feature like this or encourage a plugin), it's not really worth spending much time thinking about this.
  • No, I was thinking if it was third party then the web storage would probably have to be third party too.

Any links to discussion about that framework?
  • I think it came up in the context of potential improvements to pdf metadata retrieve, but I don't have a link, no.