painfully slow adding citatons in AOO 4

i have a similar slowness problem.
i use AOO 4 and zotero firefox, debug ID is D1918339400. Changing a reference (even if only clicking hide author) takes as long as several minutes, many times much longer than this one. Mostly larger documents, chapters put together, all with the same style, etc. (i changed index search to 0 but seems hardly a change).
i'd be happy if you get back to me, am in the final stages of my phd and it drives me crazy, especially as most of the time zotero is fantastic.
thanks a lot.
  • oh and it actually also de-links quotes randomly. not very often, but does happen. Which means I can't be sure that all references will actually be in the bibliography - and that should be exactly what zotero saves me from, shouldn't it?
  • What size document and about how many citations are we talking. You may just have to live with the lag if you're editing book/dissertation length manuscripts at this time.
    If at all doable, edit in chapter-files.

"De-linking" shouldn't happen though. What exactly happens? How does a citation look when it's de-linked?
  • the file i'm editing at the moment is actually a chapter, not even the whole thing yet (63 pages, 19000 words). I'm not sure how to know how many references there are (sorry if that's a stupid question, surely there's an automatic count somewhere for that). there would be around 154 items in this chapter's bibliography, but that's a document without bibliography inserted.
    (Report ID 1701008739 for the last thing i did)
    de-links: i accidentally see them,so don't know exactly when it happens. the link's gone (no grey colour and the zotero-link doesn't appear when hovering above what should be a reference mark).
    thanks a lot.
  • I really don't see how Zotero could possibly remove individual links - it can't even do this on purpose.
    Maybe someone else has an idea, but I wouldn't exclude the possibility of an AOO bug - reference marks that just disappear could just as well be caused by the word processor. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to troubleshoot this from any angle if it's not reproducible in any systematic way.

Several minutes to insert citations in a 70p documents seems way too long - maybe Dan or Simon see something in the debug.

There could, I guess, be something corrupted in the document that's causing both. You could try see if any of this:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#debugging_broken_documents
    makes a difference. For the last step, you'd only have to split the document once for a start and see if any half performs drastically faster.
  • i'll try around a little, but so far (splitting the document) hasn't resulted in anything radically different... plug-in and everything is updated.
    it can't be connected to the default option "store references in document", can it? i always left that checked.
    yeah, the random disappearing and maybe everything else probably has to do with AOO but well...
    if anything else occurs to you, i'd be very grateful!
  • i now noticed that when i split the document (by deleting half in a copied version) and try out changing a reference neither section of the document is definitely faster, but when i then try to undo to delete the other half of the document as suggested in the link above, that jumps to other references as if i had changed them before (instead of restoring the other half of the document). it's as if the link to zotero is re-set. If these are "problematic" citations then there seem to be many of them. any ideas?
  • edited November 6, 2013
    not sure I understand exactly, but no, that doesn't sound like a problem. Most likely the references just changed for whatever reason and those changes show up during undo - which is generally awkward with changing citations. Don't take "undo" literally to mean "use the undo command" you can just revert to a prior saved version of the document.
  • yeah thanks, that's fine. but anyway the rest is still slow. sorry to bother you, but so far no real change.
  • what are you computer's specs? And which style are you using?