slow and freeze

For some months now, I simply can't use Zotero anymore… : I have a big library of about 17000 references (Bibprerec), and I belong to some groups managing about 10000 other references. I don't knowm if this is too big for Zotero, but opening standalone takes more than 2 minutes, it's impossible to add any new reference (freeze), every "click" takes several seconds, and so on… Any idea ?
Some other users of those groups have same problems…
  • That is a large library, but I don't think it's large enough to behave this way.

Could you provide a debug ID for a click that takes several seconds?
  • Zotero Standalone (Mac) generated this report : 1598808506
    I don't really know if it's really describe the bug ?
  • Sorry… here is the DebugID : D658930589
  • no ideas about this problem ?
  • Can you provide another Debug ID from Zotero 4.0.14 for a slow switch between collections?

Also, does this happen every time you switch between collections, or just when you switch to one you haven't viewed yet since restarting Firefox?
  • Here is a new Debug ID : D1885331121
    In fact, the problem concerns especially the two groups 'BibPreRec' and 'Bibliothèque du Lampea'.
    The problem about adding references concerns the BibPreRec group.
  • Try closing the tag selector in the bottom left by dragging the divider above it all the way down.
  • Yes, it works a little bit better without tags (but yet about 1 minute to open Zotero).
  • Zotero caches data at startup in order to speed up normal use later, so the delay at startup is expected.

Switching between those libraries is slow with the tag selector open because those libraries have an extremely large number of tags. There may be ways we can speed that up, but in the meantime, I'd recommend keeping the tag selector closed. If many of the tags are automatic tags, you could also try turning off automatic tags in the tag selector menu, but I'm not sure how much that would help.
  • OK, thank you very much. Those both librairies are built by imported data from Endnote file (which contains 70.000 references), with a lot of keywords which become tags in Zotero. There are thousands of them. Perhaps should I try to "clean" them in a SQL editor, but this is a very long job !! I will try this later and I will tell you if it solve the problem… thank you again.