Issue with tag in Duplicate Items folder

I am going through my Duplicate Items folder, trying to merge duplicates. I have a tag selected so I can focus on merging a certain subset of my citations.

The problem is that the top item in my list (sorted by title) is included in various merge sets, despite the fact that this item is not a duplicate! This happens with automatic tags (some of the time) and manual tags (all of the time). If I merge this item into a set it doesn't belong to, whichever item is now the top item becomes included in my merging sets.

I am using Zotero standalone (for Mac). Any thoughts on what is causing this, or how I can stop it from happening. Thanks, Meg
  • If you don't have a tag selected - is the item in question in the Duplicate folder at all?
  • Yes it is there.
  • Anything odd about that item? If it's nothing secret, could you export it as Zotero RDF (right-click --> export selected item --> Zotero RDF (no files or notes)), open the exported file with TextEdit, copy the entire contents (cmd+a then cmd+c) and paste them to the window at
    gist.github.com, "Create public gist" at the bottom of the Window and provide the URL here.
  • Nothing odd about that item. And it isn't just that one item. If I merge that first one into a set it doesn't belong with, whichever item is now the top one has the same issue.

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/7307780
  • Sorry, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around what exactly is happening so I can see if I can replicate this - nothing wrong with your explanations, this just sounds quite odd.

So that item is at the top of the duplicate items collection/saved search. What happens when you click on it? How many other items are selected?

If you sort the list by a different column (say date), does that change anything?

Are you seeing the same problems if you _don't_ have a tag selected?
  • Sorry, I know this is really confusing.

If I click on that item, just that single line is selected. However, if I then click an item further down the page (say with 3 copies of same item), those 3 lines PLUS that first line are selected.

If I sort by another column (I used creator), the same issue occurs, although it is now a different item in the top row.

With no tag selected, this problem isn't happening.

If there is a way for me to email you I can try sending you some screenshots?
  • nevermind. I think I can replicate this.

So this happens when an item actually is a duplicate, but only one of the duplicates has the tag in question.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Create three different duplicate couples
    2. Assign a tag to one - but not the other - items in the duplicate pairs.
    3. Go to the Duplicate Items saved search and filter by that tag
    4. If you click on either the second or third item in the list, you get a merge dialog with the first item, even when it is entirely different.

@Dan - does that make sense?
  • I just did this, and what you described in step #4 is exactly what happened. Is there a workaround for this?
  • I believe we may have that fixed for Zotero 4.0.13, due out today (I believe late tonight US time). Let us know if this goes away after updating.
  • Ok, will let you know tomorrow. Thanks!
  • Not having this problem since I updated Zotero this morning. Thanks!