Automation-friendly Zotero: Prerequisites/Some GUI suggestions/File menu "New Subcollection"

A first hello,

I'm an automation maniac - I try to use automation with every software I use, e. g. via AutoHotkey. Unfortunately I don't have the time to modify the sources of Zotero itself.

I'm using really complex, nested hierarchies for organizing all my stuff.
My aim is to create collection/subcollection items as efficient as possible.
Great would be an dialog for specifing the hierarchy of an subcollection like a file path, starting at the selected item, like Subcollection1\Subcollection2\Subcollection3.
Brilliant would be of course direct drag & drop support via the Windows Explorer or another file manager.

Context menus are the hell of every automation attempt. As a short term solution I need an menu item in the file menu "New Subcollection". Can someone support me?

Many thanks and greetings
LiteratureLad
  • Just to make sure we understand you correctly, you want to be able to copy/move an item to a collection by typing out a path to that collection?
  • Hello aurimas,

thanks for your question.

I want to insert a new hierachy - a nested (Sub)Collection - as a single, delimited string like Subcollection1\Subcollection2\Subcollection3. That (Sub)Collection is then just appended to the current selected item in the collection pane.

Many thanks and greetings
    LiteratureLad
  • @LiteratureLad, just a quick (and friendly!) note: it's preferred here, and on many other internet forums, to forgo opening and closing phrases. It's easier for us to keep up with the thousands of posts that come in each week if they're written as compactly as possible. It's often better to be a bit more direct than overly polite.

To address specific users, you can use a "@" in front of their user name (like I did at the start of this post), and you can just drop the "Many thanks and greetings, LiteratureLad" from each post. Thanks!