HELP! MLZ RTF/ODF Error

I have a big project that must be finished tomorrow. When I run it through RDF/ODF scan, I recv an error message. It just says there was an error processing the file. It used to give more data. I need to know where that error is, for I have dozens of footnotes in it. I scanned once without success. Help. Thx, m
  • Ah. Making a lot of mistakes this evening. I discovered that the error ( I think) was pushing out the rtf from scrivener as endnotes instead of footnotes.
  • just to prevent future problems, could you provide us with a quick outline of your workflow?
    When I test scrivener with ODF scan I export directly to ODF. What are you doing?
  • Scrivener's export to ODF, at least in Windows/Linux, does not support footnotes. Endnotes are not an option in my case. Hence, from Scrivener, I export as RTF with footnotes. Then I run that export through LibreOffice, saving as ODF. Then I run that through RTF/ODF converter in MLZotero. Then I open in LibreOffic, click the "cog," and update.

If I export as endnotes directly to ODF. They are "stuck" as endnotes, as far as I have been able to discover. The only way to convert them to footnotes seems to be to click on each and convert to footnote. That's too laborious, especially if you have hundreds of notes.

If, under the "cog" in Libreoffice, I select "display citation as footnotes" the endnotes do not reform as footnotes, even after running an update that visibly tries to relocate them. At least they did not the last time I tried.
  • OK, thanks, that's unfortunate, but I'll make sure to include that workflow in my tests.
    Could you quickly tell me how to insert footnotes (for export in RTF) and endnotes (which I understand work in both) in Scrivener?
    I don't use Scrivener for anything but testing ODF scan, so I don't really have the time to figure out how things work there.
  • edited October 30, 2013
    Type some text in the center pane. Place the cursor where you want the note, Select Format | Footnote. A frame should appear in the right-hand third of the application window. Type note.

Footnote/Endnote preference is specified at at compile.

To Compile: File | Compile | Compile For: RTF

Click Footnotes/Comments Icon (left panel).
    Export to RTF as: [select footnotes/endnotes]

Ditto ODF.

Hope that helps. Thanks! m
  • Great, thanks, got it. Yeah, Scrivener doesn't create notes in ODF at all. Those are just superscript numbers, so you're right that going through RTF is the only way. Too bad.
  • Well thanks for your help. It will get better as we go, I am sure. m