Descriptions for Tags

The ability to create short tags with longer (flyover) descriptions would be really handy. Someone mentioned this earlier, but it's buried in a long list of other requests, so I thought that I would start a separate thread. mbruffey
  • Just curious. Has the development team considered enabling tag descriptions? Thx, M
  • edited July 25, 2014
    I'm not sure how this would work out in the interface. Where would the description appear?

Edit: also, how would it be entered?
  • How and where? Maybe "right-click" on TAG reveals an "enter description" option; afterward, description would appear as a flyover? Once a description has been entered, right-click reveals an "edit description" option? I don't know about feasibility, not being a developer and all.

Why want? (1) The smaller the tag the more efficient the tag pane; (2) Abbreviated/numeric tags are more easily clustered for selection; a description increases feasibility of using numeric tags.

Thx, M
  • I'm not saying that this is a bad idea, but the gain in functionality is very minimal at this point, considering the amount of effort needed to implement it (mostly because of underlying database and syncing requirements).

If someone is very interested, he/she could make an addon that, say, takes a "tag: like this one" and treats "tag" as the label and "like this one" as the description.