IEEE Xplore: Duplicate conference name and proceedings title in conference papers

I have observed an issue in IEEE pages, such as: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6130271&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D6130271

The IEEE Xplore translator is used.

The conference name is captured duplicate in two fields: Duplicate conference name and proceedings title.

Therefore, when this entry is exported, it appears duplicated (In xxx. Presented at the xxx.):

Asteriadis, S., Karpouzis, K., & Kollias, S. (2011). Robust validation of Visual Focus of Attention using adaptive fusion of head and eye gaze patterns. In 2011 IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision Workshops (ICCV Workshops) (pp. 414–421). Presented at the 2011 IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision Workshops (ICCV Workshops). doi:10.1109/ICCVW.2011.6130271

Should the translator only store this information in one field? Or should the output realise that the conference name and proceedings name is the same, and only print it once?
  • I assume you're talking about the APA 6th edition citation style?
  • That is correct, I am using APA 6th edition. With some other styles, such as the IEEE style, there is no issue:

[1]S. Asteriadis, K. Karpouzis, and S. Kollias, “Robust validation of Visual Focus of Attention using adaptive fusion of head and eye gaze patterns,” in 2011 IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision Workshops (ICCV Workshops), 2011, pp. 414–421.

Apparently, in the case of the IEEE format either the conference name or proceedings title is not used.

Other styles (such as Harvard), however, show the same issue as in APA.

Could this be considered an issue of the IEEE Xplore translator, which is importing the same value in both the conference name and proceedings title, or should the export format take care of this?
  • I don't think so. "2011 IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision Workshops (ICCV Workshops)" is the publication title according to IEEE Xplore and it looks like it's also the name of the conference. So the import seems to be right.

adamsmith will have to comment further.
  • The conference name shouldn't show up in APA when the article is published in proceedings. I'll fix that in the style. I agree with Aurimas that the import is correct.
  • edited October 20, 2013
    this is now fixed in APA
    The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by re-installing it from the repository. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)

Styles should also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know.
  • It works perfectly now. Thanks a lot!