How do I cite this?

Good afternoon,

1. There is one article by Melissa Lee Phillips called "Second Language Learning" that appears on an educational website called "Neuroscience for Kids". You can find her article here: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/second.html and the website is this one: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/neurok.html. It is not a Magazine Article, Journal Article or Blog Post. I guess it may be a "Website Article"? Do you have something similar in Zotero? I haven't been able to find it.

2. How do I cite a video taken from the Educational website called "Science Daily" (www.sciencedaily.com) ? Would the closest be "film" or "video recording" ?

Thanks.

M. Aicart
  • In many situations different styles have started to work with these kinds of items in different ways. In this capacity it may be best to consult the style guide you are using, the professor you are working on the project for, or the publisher you are working with.

For storing the items in Zotero it is best to think about the fields you actually need. The first example is an article, it has a date of publication, an author, a URL and a publisher, in this case something like journal article may be the best choice for the time being.

In the second case, the issue between film and video recording I would encourage you to create blank items for each and see which one's fields match the fields you are working with best. My inclination would be to use video recording.
  • I have another "how do you cite this" question.
    Normally I can fudge fields to show all the relevant information, but this one has me stumped. (Colloquial Australian cricket playing expression)
    Its a conference but the publication is "in" another publication.
    The conference organisers give the following advice;

Citations of works should have the following format:
    Author, A. & Writer B. (2003). Paper title: What it’s called. In G.Crisp, D.Thiele, I.Scholten, S.Barker and J.Baron (Eds), Interact, Integrate, Impact: Proceedings of the 20th Annual Conference of the Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education. Adelaide, 7-10 December 2003.

How do I get the fields for this one? No scope in "Conference' and "Book Section' returns the wrong kinds of fields as well.
  • Why doesn't Conference paper work for you?

It would seem like there are fields for all of those folks.

Authors: Author, A. & Writer B.
    Date (2003)
    Title: Paper title: What it’s called.
    Editors or Series Editors: G.Crisp, D.Thiele, I.Scholten, S.Barker and J.Baron (Eds),
    Proceedings Title: Interact, Integrate, Impact: Proceedings of the 20th Annual Conference of the Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education.
    Conference Name: 20th Annual Conference of the Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education

Now, it is entirely possible that there is a issue with the how the particular style you are using uses these fields, and it is also possible that they want you to cite the paper in a different format than your style does.
  • Ah, I think what was confusing me was the supposition you needed a separate "book' title from the 'chapter' title to get Item X "in" Item Y, not simply the addition of a set of editors.
    I am glad to have it clarified that you don't. (PS it worked!)
    Thanks