Importing Bibtex & Ris Problems

I can no longer import RIS & Bibtex files - either from Firefox or Standalone.

I have experimented with just 10k RIS and Bibtex files, the import bar goes 3 quarters of the way, then the tags in the background disappear, and the whole thing seem to freeze.

I've tried to disable non-essential add-ons to Zotero, I still have the problems.

Here are my Debug ID: D573407524 and Report ID: 141199654
  • you can try opening the file in a text editor, selecting it's entire content (ctrl+a), copy it (ctrl+c) and then use Zotero's import from clipboard. Frequently that has helped in similar situations.

You can also try closing the tag selector on the left and to temporarily disable auto-sync

Also, not sure what you're doing that requires multiple large imports, but if you're re-doing imports and deleting previously imported items, make sure to intermittently empty your Zotero trash.
  • you can try opening the file in a text editor, selecting it's entire content (ctrl+a), copy it (ctrl+c) and then use Zotero's import from clipboard. Frequently that has helped in similar situations.

Tried that first through notepad and then word - then select all, and copy - tried then to import via clipboard - but said doesnt recognise file type/ format.

You can also try closing the tag selector on the left and to temporarily disable auto-sync

- was already on manual synch - the tabs off seemed to help marginally - when I now import normally - what did I do?

I deleted mimeTypes.rdf from Firefox folder:

See:http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/file_handling_issues
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/23749/annotate-attached-pdfs/#Item_27

Deleting mimeTypes.rdf from your profile directory and restarting Firefox or Zotero Standalone is generally what's needed to fix file handling issues. mimeTypes.rdf stores file handling associations and will be recreated automatically the next time you restart Firefox or Zotero Standalone.

... which also seemed to solve also my acrobat in pdf issue in

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/23749/annotate-attached-pdfs/#Item_27

So far tried a small RIS file, now the real litmus test are the bigger ones...

Also, not sure what you're doing that requires multiple large imports, but if you're re-doing imports and deleting previously imported items, make sure to intermittently empty your Zotero trash.

Been trying to migrate my rather large (often duplicates that I couldnt get rid of) Mendeley library... so far with mixed results, now trying a 58,000 kb RIS file - seems to be static... but might let it run over night, fingers crossed.

Erased from trash 64 entries - don't know if that helped.
  • So it worked for Bibtex but not Ris.