Just Began Using, Already Slow

I just began using Zotero standalone (awesome, btw), but already the program is getting hung up when I import data. The discussions I have read focus on the amount of material indexed or on tags, but I have very little indexed, and no tags as of yet.

I am running Zotero on a MacBook Air, 1.8 GHz with 8 Gigs and OSX 10.8.5.

Is there some setting that I could change to speed it up a bit? Thanks!
  • when you import or index large chunks of data or documents, you'll see brief freezes during import - but those shouldn't affect how fast anything works afterwards.
    Could you elaborate what exactly you're doing when you see the hang ups and approx. how long they are?
  • Thanks for the quick response! It's when I'm typing notes on any given work...goes to the color wheel and lags in typing...I would say 5-10 seconds, which makes it difficult to type.
  • that's not good. See if this goes away if you disable automatic syncing in the sync tab of the Zotero preferences (this is for troubleshooting, generally, it is recommended to have&leave auto-sync enabled).
  • ok, thanks. That seems to have eliminated the lag.
  • Dan will have suggestions on what type of debug would be helpful. As I say, this should generally be turned on. One thing I can think of is that there is a sync that's not going through and that's looping - try manually syncing once (click on the round green arrow at the top right). And see if you can then re-enable autosync without lags.
  • Ok, I'll try that.
  • I did, but it is still lagging.
  • OK, provide a debug ID that captures such a lag (e.g. while editing a note) with autosync running:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
    we'll have to wait for Dan then.
  • The debug id is D1303861478
  • You're hitting your Zotero File Storage quota, so many of your files likely aren't being uploaded, and Zotero is repeatedly checking those files for changes, causing the freezes. If you don't want to subscribe to a storage plan (or use WebDAV), you can disable file syncing for My Library in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences.