[MLZ] Error ID 469720863 Sync no longer working

Starting yesterday i have to choose the local or server version of the same 4 items after every sync attempt from system B (laptop). This is then followed by a warning of 2 items that have been changed in multiple location and are "added to the collection" and a warning about merged tags. System A reports to complete syncing successfully.

I have emptied zotero trashcans on all connected systems.

However, the items are not being added, and attachments are not updated properly either. This has created quite a mess, with certain items being on my library on zotero.org but not downloading to either system A or B, and other items especially my attachments not uploading from either system. I'm therefore very hesitant about restoring from or to server. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Both A and B: WebDav storage, FF 24.0, OS X 10.8.5, MLZ 4.0m396
  • I've sent a private message with a bunch of questions. Once we have a clear picture of what's failing, we'll report back to this thread.
  • btw should any zotero team members be following you can check the following two itmes in my lybraries to see that somethings up.

The collection folder MOOC Coursera Networks has been created on system b, uploaded properly, but no its contents, just the folder.

The item:
    Wagner, Rudolf G, and Milena Doleželová-Velingerová, eds. Chinese Encyclopaedias of New Global Knowledge (1870-1930) - Changing Ways of Thought. 1st ed. Springer, 2014. http://www.springer.com/new+%26+forthcoming+titles+%28default%29/book/978-3-642-35915-6.

will not sync from system a to system b.
  • Can you export and post this item to a gist (http://gist.github.com)? It would be good to know if it fails to sync in standard Zotero.
  • The item [...] will not sync from system a to system b.
    With the current sync architecture, there's not really any such thing as an item not syncing — syncs either go through in their entirety or you should get a sync error message. There are no Zotero errors in your error report, though.

There might be a bug in MLZ that's hiding a sync error, but focusing on individual items isn't usually helpful.
  • edited October 16, 2013
    [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80630003 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_CONSTRAINT) [mozIStorageStatement.execute]" nsresult: "0x80630003 (NS_ERROR_STORAGE_CONSTRAINT)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/tag.js :: Zotero.Tag.prototype.save :: line 482" data: no] [ERROR: columns itemID, tagID are not unique]

using the updated MLZ Frank just emailed me, i now get a longer list of items to manually select local or remote versions(27 where there were only 4 before). Everything else happens just as before. Latest error ID 52412644.

BTW, i checked to see what happens if I activate on demand download for attachments. No errors, but the items from system B aren't uploaded to zotero, nor are are items from the sync server downloaded to B.

Do you still want the item on gist Frank?
  • No need for the items: Dan is right, we just need to focus on the failure itself. Nothing will sync to Machine B until we sort that out. Will write by mail soon.
  • edited October 16, 2013
    and the latest patch fixed it. Thanks for the swift help fbennet.

No idea what caused the madness in the first place? But who cares, faulty tags be damned back to writing.
  • Dan: We have logs from a couple of sync runs that triggered the error (as per duncdrum's pasted error above, it was an attempt to insert an already-existing tag record). It looks like an inter-leaved change to tags caused the error, and there don't seem to be any related changes in MLZ.

The error has been cleared, so all is well at this end. duncdrum has given the go-ahead to share the logs if they might be of interest.
  • That's OK. If there's an issue with Zotero sync, it will be irrelevant with the upcoming switch to API syncing anyway, so I don't think it's worth debugging this.