Zotero freezes on syncing

I am having some problems on syncing. After editing an item, and with auto sync enabled, Zotero freezes, usually 2-3min, sometimes much more.

I am running Zotero Standalone 4.0.1, on a Linux machine (Athlon II X3 455 Processor).
I have a around 16000 items on my library, plus around 8000 on group libraries.
The Debug ID is D1636331384.

Thanks for your help,
Nuno
  • do you mean 4.0.1 or 4.0.11? If the former, you need to udpate Zotero.
  • Sorry, Adam. It is 4.0.11. Thanks.
  • Does this happen on every sync? Or does it happen only once every few hours, on the startup sync, and on manual syncs?

Does it stop if you disable file syncing (not auto-syncing) in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences?
  • Thanks, Dan.
    Actually, during the last days, it was OK.
    If it happen again, I'll report it.
  • Hi Dan,
    today, Zotero started freezing again.

It happens frequently, on auto-sync. But it stops if I disable file syncing.

Is there something that I can do?
    Thanks,
  • edited October 14, 2013
    Can you answer this?
    Does this happen on every sync? Or does it happen only once every few hours, on the startup sync, and on manual syncs?
    If it's what I think it is, it wouldn't happen on every auto-sync. It would happen under the precise circumstances in my second sentence above.
  • Thanks, Dan.

For some days, Zotero work without problems.
    Yesterday, I added (drag and drop) some pdf files to Zotero, and then I created items to organize them.
    In this process, Zotero freezes on sync.

>> Does this happen on every sync? Or does it happen only once every few hours, on the startup sync, and on manual syncs?
    So, when it starts freezing, it happens on every sync.

Thanks for your help.
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for such a sync?
    So, when it starts freezing, it happens on every sync.
    OK, so auto-sync kicks in 15 seconds after the last edit. You're saying that, if you make a change to a note and wait 15 seconds, you get a freeze of a couple minutes, and then if you make another change to the note and wait 15 seconds, it freezes for another couple minutes?
  • I've been working yesterday and today, and I had not problems with syncing.

So, I would say that it does not happen frequently, but when it happen it keeps freezing for a while. I did not check if it happens exactly on every auto-sync, but it did happen every couple of minutes.
    Does not my first Debug ID give some clue?
    If it happens again, I'll send a new Debug ID.

Thanks for your help.
  • I got the output you sent via email, but it's way too big to review. It looks like there are a dozens of syncs in there.

Just leaving debug output logging enabled isn't useful. You need to clear it immediately before a relevant action and submit it immediately afterward.
  • Thanks, Dan.

I don't know how to reproduce the problem.

For days, I work without problem. But when it starts, it happens very often. Today, it first happened once an hour (I would say), but then at the end it freezes every 2-3min.
    It is why I keep all the debug output. Next time, I will do as you suggest.