Database version issues / MLZ compatibility to Database version

Hello, I have been getting this window message that:"This version of Zotero is older than the version last used with your database. Please upgrade to the latest version from zotero.org. Current version: 4.0.11 See http://zotero.org/support/kb/newer_db_version for more information. I went to the forums and did my best to follow the instructions."

Thus, I have been repeatedly going to the link to download the "newer version" on the Zotero home page for both the Firefox (it states that it is a 4.12 version but I later got the same message) and the Standalone for Mac (it states that it is a 4.11 version but I later got the same message too.) I installed the MLZ version of Zotero but could not make it work with these database issues so uninstalled it. So I went back to the basic Zotero software but am having the same issues all over again.

It has been so frustrating for a week now. Unfortunately, I am not very technically savvy. Would anyone be so patient as to set out how I can resolve this issue in a step-by-step fashion? Now I am not able to even upload my Zotero library which has more than 500 references already?

Thanks so much in advance for your kind assistance.
  • When you install MLZ, your database is upgraded to a newer version (because MLZ adds some extra features that official Zotero does not support). If you uninstall MLZ and try to go back to official Zotero, the newer version of the database cannot be interpreted, so you get the error that you're seeing.

Before the upgrade, MLZ should have created an automatic database backup. See if you can restore it using the directions here: http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#restoring_from_the_last_upgrade_backup The database file will be located in your Zotero data directory.

You are strongly advised to make a complete backup of your Zotero data directory before proceeding with any of these instructions.
  • Hello aurimas,

Thank you for your quick reply.

I undertook the direction you provided in the above link. For some reason I am not being allowed to open a Zotero application so I am unable to check if the database file is located in my Zotero data directory. I am still getting the message that:"This version of Zotero is older than the version last used with your database. Please upgrade to the latest version from zotero.org. Current version: 4.0.11 See http://zotero.org/support/kb/newer_db_version for more information."

So I go again to to the Zotero home page to download the latest version (Zotero for Firefox) and still I get that same message above.

I found my zotero.sqlite and related files (i.e. zotero.sqlite.bak) in the Finder in my Mac.
    Does this mean that I have my Zotero data directory intact - but can't get the updated Zotero app to launch it?

When I clicked on it, I get either the message above or the message: There is no application set to open the document “zotero.sqlite-journal”. Search the App Store for an application that can open this document, or choose an existing application on your computer." Then there are 3 buttons below: Choose Application, Cancel and Search App Store.

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.
  • You don't need to keep reinstalling Zotero. You have the most recent version, your database is just not compatible with this version (because it was upgraded by MLZ).

Can you list _all_ of the files in your Zotero data directory that start with "zotero" and contain "sqlite"?
  • Hi Josephine,

I'm the developer for MLZ: let's get you set up so you can go back to work.

Before we start, I'd like to clarify a few details. First, do you remember when the database errors began appearing? From your first post, it sounds as though the database version mismatch warning appeared when you had Zotero installed, and that you then tried to install MLZ, but it also didn't work, and you are now trying to move back to official Zotero. Is that correct? If not, please tell us the story again, step by step, so we can be sure of the situation at your end.
  • Hello aurimas,

As requested, here are the list of files that I have with the term "zotero: and "sqlite":

abbreviations-for-zotero.sqlite
    abbreviations-for-zotero.sqlite.1.bak
    abbreviations-for-zotero.sqlite.bak
    zotero-item-history.sqlite
    zotero.sqlite
    zotero.sqlite-journal
    zotero.sqlite.1.bak
    zotero.sqlite.76.bak
    zotero.sqlite.bak

Thank you for your kind assistance.
  • Hello Frank,

Thank you for your email. I am keen to get the the MLZ app working on the standard Zotero app as I am currently working on my Master of Laws thesis, which requires the McGill legal citation style.

I was happy to learn a few weeks ago from my professor that you had successfully developed the Zotero MLZ with its McGill citation capabilities. (Before then, I have been using the Zotero standalone.) I went through your book and undertook the 3 steps outlined (i.e. Install MLZ, Install Abbreviation Filters and Browse Styles for the McGill citation 7th edition).

Then when I clicked on the standalone Zotero app, the window about having an old version of Zotero would appear so I would go back to the Zotero homepage to download the version provided. I did that roundabout loop about 20 times, thinking that it was just probably a rebooting issue because I had downloaded MLZ. But I would always get the same window about having an old version despite having downloaded the newest version on the Zotero homepage. I noticed that the window kept saying that the current version was 4.12 and I noticed that the Zotero standalone for Mac that I kept downloading had a 4.11 version. So I decided to download the Zotero for Firefox version because it said it had a 4.12 version. This issue kept recurring for the past week.

Today, for some strange reason, I was able to make it work somehow in the sense that the Zotero for Firefox worked to launch my Zotero MLZ database of references. I was able to drag and drop citations from Zotero MLZ to Scrivener. It had the citation markers that you noted in your book. I was thrilled. Then when I compiled my Scrivener, I could not find the ODF export capability as was indicated in the book. I checked to see and confirmed that my Scrivener was updated and yet I did not see the ODF export capability. So I compiled the file in Scrivener using the both the ODT and the RTF Scan capabilities. I could not open the ODT file in Word. However, I was able to open the RTF Scan file. When I clicked on the Zotero Plug-in, and under Set Document Preferences, I chose the McGill style.

However, nothing happened to the RTF Scan file, meaning that the format of the original citation markers as they appeared in Scrivener remained as they were in Word. They did not change to the McGill style.

That's when I decided that I should just return to the Zotero standalone because I could not make the MLZ work. So I unistalled the MLZ because I could not get the updated Zotero version that it required so I would not be able to get it to work. I then tried to install the standard Zotero for Firefox and Zotero standalone -repeatedly - but would get the same window about having an old version of the Zotero and that I needed a new version. Yes, it's been quite a roundabout loop.

Would greatly appreciate your kind assistance in this regard. Thank you.
  • Aha. Thank you for the information -- this is very clear.

MLZ has no Standalone version at present. It runs fine in Firefox. So after installing MLZ, the errors that you received when you tried to run Standalone are (unfortunately) expected.

It is possible to run MLZ (or Zotero itself) in a way that works similar to Standalone; but we will save that possibility for later. For now, let's concentrate on getting a running system in place for you.

If you will be using the system for Canadian legal references, I would recommend sticking with MLZ. The main problem you have encountered so far seems to be due to the small confusion over Standalone. If you install MLZ and run it only from Firefox, you should be fine. Is that acceptable, or would you like to concentrate on moving back to Zotero?

(The ODF Scan issue should be easy to sort out: we'll work through that once we have settled on which client software you will be using.)
  • Hello Frank,

Thank you for your kind reply. Yes, I would like to use the MLZ app and run it from Firefox because of its power to do Canadian legal citations. (MLZ will definitely save me a lot of grief!) I would like to avoid going back to the old Zotero because it precisely lacks that powerful capability.

I just checked my Firefox browser now. In the Tools Menu, there is Zotero as a choice. When I click on Zotero, it has that window with the yellow triangle with an exclamation point - stating: "This version of Zotero is older than the version last used with your database. Please upgrade to the latest version from zotero.org. Current version: 4.0.12
    See http://zotero.org/support/kb/newer_db_version for more information."

Would you be able to kindly advise me on how I can un-install Zotero from that dropdown menu so I can reinstall Zotero and MLZ again?

I am unfortunately not tech-savvy so I don't know which folder in my hard drive or in my Firefox profile that Zotero app which appears in the dropdown menu actually resides. And even if I find a Zotero folder within my hard drive or Firefox profile, I don't know what that Zotero app filename should look like --- which of those Zotero file/s should be deleted. I am afraid to do this on my own because I might end up deleting my Zotero database of references.

As previously mentioned, I had downloaded the Zotero for Firefox application so many times in the hope of getting it and MLZ, to work that there are probably so many versions of it in my hard drive already. I will likely have to delete all those and start with a clean slate. Thus, your kind guidance will be very much appreciated.

Thank you and best regards,

Josephine
  • It sounds like you have successfully installed MLZ, and Zotero is refusing to run because of the version mismatch. If you visit the CitationStylist site and install from the "Multilingual Zotero" button, things should work. There is no need to uninstall Zotero: the client program (not your data, just the program that accesses it) will be replaced when you install MLZ.

Let us know how it goes. Once we clear this step we'll get you set up with ODF Scan.
  • Hello Frank,

Yes, you are right! Thank you! It worked! As you suggested, I went to the Citation Stylist and downloaded the MLZ and accompanying apps. Then I went to my Firefox browser and under Tools, it said ML-Zotero, which I clicked and voila, my Zotero MLZ database popped up. Then I opened up a Scrivener file and tested to see how the drag and drop function for footnotes would work with this "new" MLZ installation. Interestingly, the format of the footnotes looked "normal", unlike the format of the citation markers that are in your book "with the 5 pipes". Did I miss a step here?

Thanks so much again, Frank.

Best regards,

Josephine
  • Great! On to the next step.

There are two ways to set up drag-and-drop cites for the ODF Scan converter. Both are set from the Preferences, under the Export tab. The simplest is the "Scannable Cite" format.

Be sure to install the ODF Scan plugin if you haven't done so already. After installing the plugin, open the Export tab in Preferences, and in the list of citation styles, scroll down toward the bottom. You should find a "Scannable Cite" style in the list. Select it, and you should start getting "five pipes" citations when you drag and drop.

Let's be sure that much is working: then we can go through the other method, and you can choose the one that better suits your needs.
  • @fbennett I never tried installing MLZ, but during the database upgrade it does create a backup, right?
  • Yep. It just adapts on the standard Zotero upgrade machinery.
  • Hello Frank,

Thank you for your advice on the ODF Scan plugin. I have done as instructed and it works! The "five pipes" citation now appears when I drag and drop the citations to Scrivener. This is all running so smoothly now. I am so relieved.

I look forward to hearing about the other alternative method and what your thoughts are on which is technically easier for non-techies like me.

Best regards,

Josephine
  • All very good to hear!

Zotero (and MLZ) can use either a "Bibliographic Style" or an "Export Format" for drag-and-drop: they are divided into two lists in the dropdown menu that you used to set the "Scannable Cite" translator (from Preferences, under the Export tab).

The alternative method for ODF Scan cites uses an ordinary "Bibliographic Style" to generate the descriptive text (the second field in the citation). You can use McGill, or any other style (note, though, that numeric styles like IEEE only print a number, and so are not a good choice).

After selecting a style, tick the boxes for "Include Zotero link wrappers in QuickCopy citations" and "Use citation form as default". The first one will add "scannable" markup around the citation. The second is just for convenience. When it is not ticked, you need to press the Shift key when dragging to get a citation (otherwise you get a bibliography entry, which does not have the "scannable" markers). When it is ticked, you get a citation without pressing Shift, which is a little more convenient (for me, at least).

You will notice that with the alternative method, the scannable cites have a URL (http://zotero/select) in the last field. On some systems this link is clickable, and when clicked with MLZ open, it jumps to that item in the MLZ database. This can be convenient: it depends on you personal working style and the setup of your computer.

So take your pick -- both methods work, it really is just a matter of personal taste.

Really good to hear that everything is working for you there. Good luck in your degree!
  • Thanks a lot, Frank, for your crystal clear explanations on the alternatives for the drag and drop functions. I will try them both to see which one works for my thesis writing.

Question: When I convert my Scrivener file into the ODT format and then have Zotero convert the file using the RTF/ODF Scan and then open the converted document in a word processing software, is there a preference for Libre Office over Microsoft Word? I note that in the RTF/ODF Scan documentation, only Libre Office is referred to for opening converted documents.

Thanks again, Frank.

Best regards,

Josephine
  • LibreOffice it not just preferred it (or Apache OpenOffice) is required. ODF Scan will not work with MS Word (though you can later convert the document to MS Word, see my comment here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/29308/3/rtfodf-scan-for-zotero/#Item_34 )
  • edited September 30, 2013
    As adamsmith says, it works only with LibreOffice or equivalent. It's a free download, though, and you might want to try it as a complete alternative to Word. It can save in MS Word format, if you need to send documents to others, and so long as you're not doing wild things with embedded spreadsheets and whatnot, MS Word export works quite well. (To preserve Zotero links in documents saved as MS Word, see the link provided by adamsmith.)
  • Hello adamsmith, Thanks a lot for your helpful instructions on how to convert from Libre Office to MS Word. I was able to follow through with your instructions and the conversion went very smoothly.

Hello Frank, Thanks again for your clear instructions on the alternatives for the drag and drop functions. I tried them both and they work really well. Quick question re: MS Word conversion, is there any Zotero/MLZ functionality or anything else that is compromised or lost when moving from Libre Office to MS Word?

Best regards,

Josephine
  • if you follow my instructions, no, nothing gets lost at all.
  • Excellent, thank you adamsmith!
  • I would like to request for kind assistance regarding "inserting bibliography" as I use Scrivener, MLZ Zotero, LibreOffice and Microsoft Word. Thanks to the clear instructions provided previously, I have been able to convert my citations into the McGill Legal format from Scrivener using MLZ Zotero then open in LibreOffice and convert to Microsoft Word.

Question: When I do "insert bibliography" at the end of the document, do I click the Zotero "insert bibliography button in LibreOffice? When I do click that button a window appears: -Citation style - McGill Guide
    -Display Citations As: Footnotes (should this be changed to Endnotes?)
    -Format Using: Reference Marks (button checked), Store references in document (button checked)

Given the above, I close the window but nothing happens - no bibliography is inserted into the document. Did I miss a step here?

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.
  • did you close the window or did you click OK?
  • Hello adamsmith,

For some reason, I do not see any OK button anywhere in the window. The only buttons I see are the red, yellow and green at the top left corner of the window. At the very bottom of the window is the "Store references in documents" entry (which is currently checked). There is no OK button below that entry.

Also, given that I am using the MLZ with McGill citation style, in the Citation Style subwindow, should I choose the McGill Guide? or the MLZ McGill Guide? For my previous citations, I had selected the McGill Guide (not the MLZ McGill Guide). Should this matter when trying to insert a bibliography?

Thank you.
  • try pressing Return. You should also be able to resize that window to see the "OK" button, but return should also work.

Both styles will work, but if you're working with MLZ, you'll get better result using
    MLZ Canadian Guide to Uniform Legal Citation
  • If the button is concealed somehow, just press the Enter key to select the style.

You can use either "MLZ McGill Guide" or "McGill Guide", it should insert the bibliography with either. It's recommended to use MLZ styles with MLZ where possible, but it certainly doesn't hurt anything to try styles from the Zotero repository.
  • Thanks a lot, adamsmith and Frank, for your quick and responsive replies. Yes, for some reason, there was no OK button but pressing Return did the trick! The bibliography popped out very nicely. Yes, as per your advice, I will use the MLZ McGill Guide going forward. Thanks again!
  • Some of the cite forms in that style may need adjustment. If you spot any problems, let us know.
  • I have just downloaded the LibreOffice version 2.1.2.3. So after I open my Scrivener odt file in LibreOffice, the McGill citations work out nicely. But when I click the "Insert Bibliography", this time I just get a curly bracketed Bibliography "{Bibliography}" on the last page of my document.

To try to figure out what happened, I clicked on "Document Preferences" gear button, chose Citation Style - MLZ McGill Guide
    chose Display Citations As - Footnotes
    chose Format Using - Bookmarks
    Store references in document - Checked box
    and pressed Enter key

I tried doing that several times, and sometimes I get this pop up window that says "Zotero Integration", with a no entry sign on the left and "Replace this Zotero Field?" on the right with OK and Cancel buttons and I just press Cancel.

Is this happening because of this new LibreOffice version? Is there any step that I missed? This did not happen last Monday when I did used this "Insert Bibliography" function.

Thank you for your kind assistance.
  • Oops, sorry I meant to refer to LibreOffice version 4.1.2. MacOS_x86.dmg.