Mac Word 2011 integration error - can't use Word toolbar

After using Zotero successfully, I am now experiencing a problem when I try to use the Zotero Toolbar in Word.

I am using Zotero 4.0.12 on Firefox 24.0 in OSX 10.7.5 with Word for Mac 2011 v14.3.7

When I select a button on the Zotero toolbar in Word, I get the following error message:
-----
Zotero Integration Error

Zotero could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate extension is installed and try again.
-----

There is a debug ID: D362326932. Where I tried clicking on the Word toolbar and got this type of error message (see log for full details):

(3)(+0000000): Integration: Instantiating @zotero.org/Zotero/integration/application?agent=MacWord2008;1 for command addCitation with doc /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Word.app/

I have re-installed the Firefox Add-In for word (ie, re-installed the plugin from the cite tab of the Zotero preferences) and closed everything and restarted the computer several times, yet the error persists. I have also tried to use the "classic toolbar".

I do see several VShield* processes running as well as McAfee Reporter but these were all running before when Word integration was working fine.

Any idea why this problem has come up?
  • could you try temporarily disabling VShield?
  • I disabled McAfee autoscan. I'm not able to quit all of the VShield processes.

The word integration error persists:

Zotero could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate extension is installed and try again.

What do you suggest?
  • Any updates on this Word 2011 integration problem?
    Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • Solved! (for now)
    I went to Firefox -> Tools -> Add-ons

In Add-ons manager, the Zotero Word for Mac Integration 3.5.7 add-on was disabled.
    I clicked enable, and now it works!

(I have no idea why it was disabled after re-installing several times)