Mixed language Style needed

Hi,

I came across a lot of help on how to modify citation styles, but it seems to be trouble to change the language. I can change to german and back to english, but my problem is, I need a "mix" of both.

The Citations should be (Hans, 1996) for single autors, (Hans und Peter, 1997) for two autors (note the german "und" instead of "and") and for more than two I need to quote (Hans et al., 1998).

The Literature List at the end of the document should be in English (Cell style for example).

Any ideas, how I can mix the languages like this? I cannot find these settings in the Styles :-(
  • edited September 24, 2013
    so far I'm not clear to what extent the language is "mixed" - you can define individual terms in CSL - e.g. if you want to use a German style, but use et al. rather than u.a.
    <locale xml:lang="de">
    <terms>
    <term name="et-al">et al.</term>
    </terms>
    </locale>

http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#locale
    so that wouldn't be a problem. What you can't currently do is have the style behave differently for references in German and references in English.
  • locale and term definitions are typically placed right behind the info section of the style, i.e. after
  • edited September 25, 2013
    Thank you for your help. I put the whole code behind the /info in the "cell" style (it had no local section), saved, updated the cell style in zoterof from that file. It still uses et.al but still says (Hans and Peter 1998) in the Text. :-(

In case of emergency (I have to hand this in by the end of the week): Can I search & Replace all "and" with "und" in the citations that are already implemented? If I do not update them, it could work?
  • this was for a German language style. If your style is in English otherwise (As Cell is) you need to change the default locale. Currently you have , default-locale="en-US" in the first line of the style, change that to default-locale="de-DE"

You can use search&replace, yes, I'd strongly recommend doing that in a copy of the document, though, a) to be safe and b) because citations changed tis way won't update anymore.
  • Now it is showing "Hans und Peter" for the citation in the literature index (where I don't want it) and the preview before inserting the quote shows (Hans und Peter), as I want it in my Text. When i push enter to insert the quote, it does keep the "and" in the index and inserts the quote as "Hans and Peter" :-(

I updated the Cell style from my edited file and appearantly it chanced something. But it is still keeping the old format. Do I have to re-do all quotes now? The "refresh" button in LibreOffice didn't do anything. Did I forget a step?
  • I'm still not clear what you need. Could you just give me a list of examples, both in text and bibliography, so I can tell you whether this is even going to be possible?
  • I want to quote:
    Maness, P.F., and Schachner, M. (2007). Neural recognition molecules of the immunoglobulin superfamily: signaling transducers of axon guidance and neuronal migration. Nat. Neurosci. 10, 19–26.

In my text it should appear as (Maness und Schachner, 2007)

When I set the (global) local settings to de-DE, I get the "und" in my Text (after I restarted both Firefox and LibreOffice it seems to finally work). Unfortunately it also changes the quote in the Bibliography to:

Maness, P.F., und Schachner, M. (2007). Neural recognition molecules of the immunoglobulin superfamily: signaling transducers of axon guidance and neuronal migration. Nat. Neurosci. 10, 19–26.

It should be quoted as "and" in the Bibliography.

Second Problem: It does only work for fresh quotes. Clicking "refresh" in LibreOffice does not help. I have to re-insert the quotes or click edit on every single one of them...
  • you can't have different "and"s in the bibliography and in text (you could likely work around this by creating the bibliography in a different style and copy&pasting it).

To update references in text, try switching to a different style and back.
  • edited September 25, 2013
    Switching Style worked. Now there is "und" all over the place, in the already inserted quotes, in the bibliography. Guess I will wait until everything else is done, then replace the "und" with "and" in the Bibliography, before printing...

Why can't you define "und" for the Quote in the Text? What, if I'd need it to be "&"? Hmmm.... how do I set it to "&"? That would be correct in German and English :)

Edit:
    Thank you for your patience :)
  • you can set it to ampersand (&) using and="symbol" instead of and="text"
  • edited September 29, 2013
    That worked, thank you :)

Where in the stylesheet it the right place to add font-weight="bold" so it makes the autors names in the bibliography bold?
  • you can set that on the <names variable="author"
    also, have a look at http://editor.citationstyles.org/visualEditor/
    which should make much of this easier.