Error styles: Journal Francais d'Ophtalmologie (and for Elsevier Vancour style which is the same?)

The bibliography style for "Journal Francais d'ophtalmologie" is not correct for "Book Section" and for "Conference Proceedings" (but it is correct for "Article in a Periodical").
For instance:

ZOTERO BIBLIOGRAPHY OUTPUT (JFO style AND Elsevier Vancouver one!):
Book Section
[4] Weinstein L, Swartz MN. Pathogenic properties of invading microorganisms. Pathologic physiology: mechanisms of disease, Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1974, p. 457–72.
Conference Proceedings
[5] DuPont B. Bone marrow transplantation in severe combined immunodeficiency with unrelated MLC compatible donnor. Proceedings of the third annual meeting of the International Society for Experimental Hematology, Geneva, Switzerland: 1974.

... INSTEAD OF:
Book Section
[4] Weinstein L, Swartz MN. Pathogenic properties of invading microorganisms. In: Sodeman WJ, Sodeman WA, editors. Pathologic physiology: mechanisms of disease. Philadelphia: Saunders,
WB; 1974. p. 457-72.
Conference Proceedings
[5] DuPont B. Bone marrow transplantation in severe combined immunodeficiency with an unrelated MLC compatible donnor. In: White HJ, Smith R, editors. MEDINFO 92. Proceedings of the third annual meeting of the International Society for Experimental Hematology; 1974 Sep 6-10; Geneva, Switzerland. Amsterdam: North Holland; 1974. p. 44-6.
(true examples given by the periodical)
  • that looks like you don't have the items entered correctly. If the editors are present in the item they'll be displayed in the citation in Elsevier Vancouver.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/edited_volumes_and_book_chapters
    (we currently can't get conference papers quite right as we only have one location.)
  • Ok for the "left triangle trick", it's Ok now.

For conference papers -if I well understand-, it is not supported now ? (both journal-francais-dophtalmologie and elsevier-vancouver styles which are "fake" styles so)
    My comment on conference papers citations: more than one location field (or may be also the name of the conference) is not sufficient, an additional date/time field is necessary :
    - one for the papers edition time (year only)(provided)
    - another field (not provided)for the date of the conference itself (yyyy/mm/dd? I don't know the convention on the date format to "stamp" a conference)

Regards
  • that's correct yes.
  • Oops!! I forgot this detail error with book section!
    Zotero gives the formatted citation for book section as:

[4] Weinstein L, Swartz MN. Pathogenic properties of invading microorganisms. In: Sodeman WA Jr, Sodeman WA, editors. Pathologic physiology: mechanisms of disease, Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1974, p. 457–72.

then the true citation should be :

[4] Weinstein L, Swartz MN. Pathogenic properties of invading microorganisms. In: Sodeman WA Jr, Sodeman WA, editors. Pathologic physiology: mechanisms of disease. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1974. p. 457-72.

... a point(.) between "disease" and "Philadelphia", not a comma (,)
  • Unfortunately, this is different in Elsevier Vancouver's instructino and in JFO, though Elsevier says they should be the same style. This'll take a while to sort out.
  • Thanks for your support !
  • Sorry, but two other lacks with Elsevier-Vancouver/JFO bibliography styles:
    1)with "Book", the volume number is missing in bibliography
    2)with "Book Section"(chapter in a book), the edition number of the book doesn't appear

Would there be other Vancouver styles more complete than Elsevier-Vancouver style?
  • An other problem with Elsevier-Vancouver (and so with Journal Francais d'Ophtalmologie style) and with no selection of ZOTERO option "automatic abbreviate title journal" (in other words, use the NLM ISO abbreviation title).
    Nethertheless, all "." in the ISO abbreviation journal titles are suppressed then they are in the true ISO/NLM abbreviation titles.

For instance, "Otolaryngologic clinics of Noth America" ; the ISO abbreviation (taken by ZOTERO in the NLM database) is "Otolaryngol. Clin. North Am." with "." which is correct.
    ZOTERO with these styles and the no-automatic abbreviation of titles option gives the bibliography with this title "Otolaryngol Clin North Am" (all "." are suppressed!)
  • Elsevier's other journals specifically require the abbreviations to appear without periods (which is also the case for NLM's own in-house style, btw.). If this is different for JFO, Zotero can do both.
  • Correct.
    The booklet "Citing Medicine, 2nd edition The NLM Style Guide for Authors, Editors, and Publishers" says in the chapter 1 Abbreviation rules for journal titles: "Omit -any- punctuation in a title" ... but the only ponctuated example that is given is "Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics"... with commas ",".
    If the NLM abbreviated journal title "is" the ISO one, some of them (few in fact!) have "." in their title, so the NLM standard is somewhat ambiguous.
    I agree that it is not the mission of Zotero's bibliography styles to disambiguate the citing medecine standard.
  • Citing Medicine is unambiguous about this:
    See the full sample citation right at the top here:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK7282/#A32453
    J Natl Cancer Inst.
    The ISO rules don't say anything about periods or not, they just determine how words are abbreviated.

As I say - Zotero can either include or omit periods in abbreviations. Elsevier Vancouver as well as Citing Medicine do not use periods on purpose.
  • I need the bibliographic style for Annual Reports on NMR Spectroscopy, a book of elsevier!
    They gave me this linck but it is not correct
    http://nonsolus/cap-books/documents/Standard_refstyles/1-Numbered-style.pdf
  • karina - nonsolus is the Elsevier intranet, you'll have to ask them for a link you can access. Otherwise I'd try "Elsevier (numeric, with titles)" as your best guess. Beyond that, please start a new thread.
  • I've put up a corrected version of JFO.
    The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by clicking "Update Now" in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.

Styles also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.
    Any further problems please let us know & thanks for reporting