Using Firefox when Zotero Standalone is open

I am running Mac OS 10.7.5, Zotero Standalone 4.0.11, and Firefox with the Zotero add-on 4.0.12. If Zotero Standalone is also open, when I try to save an item in Firefox, the Zotero add-on hangs and never saves it. If I close Zotero Standalone, it works like a champ.

Is this the intended behavior or am I doing something wrong?
  • no, that's not intended. With Standalone open, Zotero for Firefox should switch to "connector mode" and save items to Zotero Standalone directly (provided they are both directed at the same data directory, which is the default setting).

What exactly happens when you click a URL bar icon in Firefox with Standalone open (i.e. how exactly does the hang look, what do you see etc.?)
    Could you provide a sample URL you're trying this on and an error report ID from Standalone right after a failed attempt?
    http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs#provide_a_report_id
  • The paper I'm trying to save is this one:
    http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v493/n7430/full/nature11711.html

When I click on the little Zotero paper icon in the address bar, a box appears in the lower right corner of the screen saying "Saving Item...". But it just stays there indefinitely, and the paper never appears in my Zotero database.

Zotero Standalone doesn't give any errors, but when it hangs, I tried to go to Tools->Zotero in Firefox, and I got:

"Your Zotero database is currently in use. Only one instance of Zotero using the same database may be opened simultaneously at this time. If Zotero Standalone is open, please close it and restart Firefox."

I can't get to the Firefox Zotero panel to get a report ID because it's hanging, and won't stop until I restart Firefox, at which point the error report is gone.
  • Also, this is the behavior if I have Firefox open first and then open Zotero Standalone.

If I open Zotero Standalone first and then open Firefox, the Zotero icon doesn't appear at all in the address bar.
  • and you're saying report errors is greyed out in Zotero Standalone?
  • This sounds like communication between the two is broken.
    Simon or Dan will have to continue troubleshooting. Out of curiosity - do you use the Word or LibreOffice plugin? Does that work?
  • I've never actually used the Word plugin before, but I do have it installed. I just checked, and the Zotero toolbar shows up, and I tried to insert a citation in a blank document, and it worked.
  • Simon may have other ideas, but is your Zotero data directory in one of the default locations (that is, the Firefox profile or the Standalone profile), or have you moved it? If the latter, is it on a local disk or a network share?