add-in for word problem

I'm running Zotero 4.0.12 on Windows 7 with MS Word 2010 and Firefox 23.0.1.
I'm trying to insert a citation into my Word document, but I get the Zotero Integration error "Zotero experienced an error updating your document. Could not find a running Word instance."
When I search for this error on Zotero.org, the documentation suggests that it is a result of running Word in the "click-to-run" environment. However, I am not running Word as "click to run". So I'm stuck.
  • provide an error report ID after triggering that error.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_bugs#provide_a_report_id
  • error report ID: 1237307577
  • Is there some solution to this problem? My entire motivation for switching to Zotero was to have reference software that could work on both my work windows computer and my personal mac, but it doesn't seem to work properly on windows.
  • Zotero WinWord Integration: getDocument() could not find document "\\[...]\[...].doc" in ROT

[JavaScript Error: "Could not find a running Word instance." {file: ".\zoteroWinWordDocument.cpp" line: 0}]
    Does this happen with files not stored on a network share?
  • "Does this happen with files not stored on a network share?"

Do you mean the Word file I'm trying to insert a reference in? Yes. I just created a new document and saved it on the local hard drive. I tried to insert a reference and got the same error as before.
  • Can you provide a Report ID for that as well?
  • yes. error report ID: 835280225
  • Usually this means that either security software is interfering with Zotero, or that you have Word or Firefox set to run as adminstrator. In the latter case, you'd see a dialog that says something like "An application needs your permission to continue" on opening Word or Firefox (assuming you haven't disabled User Account Control).
  • I do not see that dialog, and I am not an administrator on my computer anyway. So, by process of elimination, I suppose it must be "security software". The computer does have "ActivIdentity" running to recognize a PIV card. Could that be the problem? Is there a workaround for this?
  • Hmm... I may have solved the problem. I had installed both the standalone and Firefox versions of Zotero. When I disabled the Zotero add-in on Firefox and just used the standalone, the insert citation function worked.
  • That's still probably security software, which is less likely to interfere with Zotero Standalone than Zotero for Firefox.
  • After using Zotero successfully, I am now experiencing a similar problem to the original post.

I am using Zotero 4.0.12 on Firefox 24.0 in OSX 10.7.5 with Word for Mac 2011 v14.3.7

When I select a button on the Zotero toolbar in Word, I get the following error message:
    -----
    Zotero Integration Error

Zotero could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate extension is installed and try again.
    -----

There is a debug ID: D362326932. Where I tried clicking on the Word toolbar and got this type of error message (see log for full details):

(3)(+0000000): Integration: Instantiating @zotero.org/Zotero/integration/application?agent=MacWord2008;1 for command addCitation with doc /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Microsoft Word.app/

I have re-installed the Firefox Add-In for word and closed everything and restarted the computer several times, yet the error persists.

I do see several VShield* processes running as well as McAfee Reporter but these were all running before when Word integration was working fine.
  • we'd want to keep these separate - the OP got a different error message, so please do start a new thread.
    You can just repost your info,
    please confirm that you have re-installed the plugin from the cite tab of the Zotero preferences (not just by re-installing the extension). Also make sure that none of the other issues here applies:
    http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#communication_error_or_non-responsive_plugin_buttons

It would also be helpful if you could temporarily disable the VShield and McAfee software for troubleshooting.