Customize the "Item Type" list

Hi everyone,

I've been using Zotero for quite some time in order to collect sources for my PHD. Mostly PDFs. Once a PDF is imported to Zotero, I use the retrieve metadata function and accept any kind of "Item Type" thats suggested by Z. So far so good.

Now my collection is getting huge and rather chaotic. So I decided to sort by hand the Items. I would like to customize the Item Type list...

In my field there is a huge difference between citing a PHD-thesis (or Dissertation) and citing a Masters-thesis. I would like to differentiate this items in Z. How do I add the Item Type "Thesis"

Can I change or delete already available Items Types in the list?
E.g. I don't need the Type "Law" (Ger: Gesetz) or "Law Draft" (Ger: Gesetzentwurf). These Types just use space and will never be used (in my case). This is only an example... without thinking it twice, I could delete 8-10 Types and add some. Instead I'll add "Thesis - Masters" "Thesis - Bachelor" and so on.

Is there a way to customize the Item Type list?

Thank you in advance!

Tralala
  • No, you can't currently customize item types and won't be able any time soon. It creates all types of issues - GUI, syncing, export, citations - so implementing it is a major challenge. Might still happen, but if it does it's very much in the long term.
  • Hi there,

It is 2021 now and I was going to ask the same question. When importing the citations into other tools, the import tool doesn't connect to the Item Type so defaults it to something else. It would be nice if we could customize the Item Type. E.g. Conference Proceedings is common and not included in your list. Book Chapter is common and not included in your list.
    Thanks!
    Lisa
  • Book Chapter = Book Section

If by conference proceedings, you mean a paper published in a proceedings, that’s Conference Paper. If you mean the whole volume, use Book (and you can store event information to be cited in Extra—let me know if you need details on that.)