[citeproc-js] Cannot continue citations in document

Hi,

I have been working on a document for 2 months now, everything has been working just fine until this morning. I can't continue my citations anymore.
When I go to 'insert citation', the window pops up, but it does not recognize the citations before tis one, i.e. it lists them from 'my library' and not from the 'cited' list as usual. I also can't access the settings anymore. It will always say 'this.and.single is undefined'

The firefox extension seems to work fine.

The Report ID is 1921972526.

Can anyone help me?
  • Are you maybe using foerster-geisteswissenschaften? I'm trying to fix it as soon as possible. See my thread here:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/21916/submitting-style-zoterosf/#Comment_165854
  • I tried fixing it by adding all old terms back to the citation style, but this didn't help cw1987. Maybe could someone else have a look at this problem?
    Thank you very much!
  • The version from August 28 seems to work just fine. The settings can be accessed and the document can be continued so that zotero recognizes priorly used citations. That wasn't the case for the latest versions.
  • @cw1987, could you check if the problematic style works in a new word processor document? It would be nice if we could figure out what causes the problem with it.
  • The version from August 28 also works fine in a new document.
  • I'm more curious about the version that didn't work in the old document.
  • edited September 17, 2013
    Ah ok. The problematic version works fine in a new document.
  • @fbennett/@adamsmith, is this worth further troubleshooting?
  • yeah - the new version of the style is valid, if it causes a citeproc error, Frank should look at it. He'll have to say what type of debug info would be useful, though.
  • edited September 17, 2013
    Hi, all. Sorry be a bit late picking this up (particularly since it was clearly and correctly flagged as a processor issue). We definitely want to track down the cause of this failure.

@cw1987: There is a possibility that the bug you've encountered has been fixed in the latest (as-yet-unreleased) version of the processor, so we should start there. You can try with the latest processor version by installing the processor patch plugin. Its only effect will be to swap the latest processor version into your running Zotero. If you install the plugin and try your problem document with the style from the repository, things may just work correctly.

Let us know how it goes: if it works, we can cross this bug off; if it doesn't, we'll dig a little deeper until we find the cause.
  • Hi all! Thank you for doing such a great job and being so helpful! I enjoy Zotero and the the people around it so much!
  • Hi,
    I downloaded and installed the processor plugin patch - it still says that it cannot update the document and that this.and.single is undefined when I try to set i the document to the style...
  • Thanks for checking.

The next step will be to try to fix the document, or failing that, to identify the reference or references that trigger the error. The steps are described here. There is a small chance that the document will be fixed before you get to step 8. If you end up there, narrow the content down to the minimum document fragment that produces the error. We'll then want to take a look at the references it contains, for testing.

Thanks for taking time on this.
  • Hi,
    I think it wouldn't be helpful to open a new thread because my problem seems to be the same like cw1987's: "When I go to 'insert citation', the window pops up, but it does not recognize the citations before [...]" ! I can choose another style, yes (because of choosing "store-refrences-in-document"-option - i think?!), but if I update/change somethings of the data in the zotero library it doesn't change anything in the citation-field of the file.

Might it depend on the "Store references in document" - option ? Another document without choosing this option works fine.

The solutions of "Debugging broken documents" (http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting) had no effect.

The Report-ID is: 1726120263 (but I don't know whether this belongs to my described error; in fact there occurs no error!)
  • @bpreusche - no that's quite different, let's keep your issue in a separate thread please (didn't you report this somewhere already?)
  • Ok, I tried the debugging. In step 8, I was able to try to insert a new citation after deleting the lower half of the document. But then a new error text appeared: this['et-al'].single is undefined.
    The Report-ID of this is 146169200.
  • JavaScript Error: "this.and.single is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js" line: 8167}]

[JavaScript Error: "this['et-al'].single is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/citeproc.js" line: 7063}]
  • @cw1987: What we're after in step 8 is not a working document, but a minimal document that fails. We'll need to examine all of the references in the failing fragment, so the fewer references it contains, the better.

Once you have a minimum set of references that trigger the error pinned down, select them in Zotero, right-click for the context menu, and select "Export Items ...". Save the references to disk as "Zotero RDF", and post the contents of the file to http://gist.github.com. Save the pasted content as a "Public Gist" and post the URL back here. If I can reproduce the error with those references and the repository version of the style, we can pin down the fault in the processor.
This discussion has been closed.