Short title announced in first citation then used in subsequent citations

Hi,
I'm trying to find the right citation style (or at least the one closest to what I need, which I can then adapt) for Oxford Studies in Ancient PHilosophy.

I think their style is basically a version of Chicago note style, but where there are multiple citations of the same work, the short title or abbreviation is announced in the first citation, and then used subsequently.

e.g.
first time:
V. Caston, 'Why Aristotle Needs Imagination' ['Imagination'], /Phronesis/, 41 (1996), 20-55.

subsequently:
Caston, 'Imagination', 46-52.

The little previews on the style catalogue that appear on mouse-over don't indicate anything about how subsequent citations are handled, and whether there is any way to announce such use of the short title (it's not required where a work is only cited once, of course). So it's tricky to find the one I need, short of downloading them all and trying them one by one in a document!

Can anyone offer guidance, please?

Apologies if this retreads previous threads - I have searched unsuccessfully for previous discussion of this issue. Likewise if I have missed something very obvious!

Best, Eudemus
  • We don't, I believe, have any style that does that.
    CSL/Zotero can't distinguish the first citation of items depending on whether they'll be cited again - so it's either always or never the short title. Doing that is possible, but takes some effort - how comfortable are you with computers? We could likely talk you through that.
  • Thanks.
    Can you indicate what kind of work would be involved, please, and I can see if it is a realistic possibility (perhaps with help).

A fallback option would be to have the short title (if any) announced every time, and I can then manually edit what results after that.

I'll anticipate doing some CSL tinkering anyway (though I'm a novice at it) to get citations not to end with a full-stop (period). I also need to remove state abbreviations from publication locations in the U.S. (I.e. Princeton, not Princeton, NJ)

All advice much appreciated.
    Eudemus
  • you can have a look at this.
    http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
    You will not be able to remove state abbreviations (or do any other modification of most fields) via CSL.
  • Thanks, Adamsmith, that's great on the CSL stuff.
    What would be involved in getting the first citation to signal the short title ONLY when (a) there IS a short title, and (b) the work is cited more than once?
    Cheers, Eudemus
  • a) use the variable title-short instead of using the form="short" attribute on title b) just isn't possible and I don't know if it ever will be. Certainly not any time soon.
  • Ok. Thanks. I'd misunderstood what "that" referred to in your first answer. Got it now. I'll have a look & see how I get on. Cheers.
  • OK. I'm making progress. But I need some help. Happy to be pointed to threads if this retreads previous enquiries (though I have tried to search).

I've managed to remove the final full-stop, and all reference to the publisher (OSAP has only publisher location). Now, I've got a few things still to go:

(i) I need article and book chapter titles to have single- not double-quotes.

(ii) I need the separator/delimiter between the bracketed date and the page number (for a journal-article) to be a comma, not a colon (this seems correct for book-chapter, strangely).

(iii) I need the order of elements to be changed for book chapters, to be "in" and then the editor, title, (location, year-of-publication), page-numbers.

(iv) I need, for first citations, and for the bibliography, to insert in square brackets the short title (with single quotes if it is an article/chapter and no quotes but italicised if it is a book) just after the title, with no delimiter.

(v) I need author names in first citations, and in the biblio, to use initials only, not full first name.

Apologies. These all probably show what a novice I am. If I can be pointed to the right bit of the .csl file, I can probably make quite a bit of progress, but I'm finding it quite hard to locate the right macro to edit, or the right bit of the <citation> or <bibliography> section to tinker with.

Very grateful for all pointers.
  • OK. I've managed to find out how to use locale="en-GB" to sort out (i) above. The rest .... still needing help.
  • OK. I've sorted (ii) now too. (iii), (iv) and (v) remain .....
  • Sorry about all these updates. I've sorted (v) too.
    So, now it's just (iii) and (iv). My hunch is those are a bit trickier than what I've done so far.

Again, apologies for running commentary. I keep thinking I've reached the end of my own resources, and then I try something else (or do a bit more googling) and stumble on a solution.
    Anyway, help still required, if any can be offered.
  • I think I may have cracked most/all of (iv), by adapting the macro in the Chicago note no-ibid, called "short-title".

The thing I've had a really good go at, but can't understand is, what makes the brackets appear around the publication location and date in the citation, but not in the bibliography.

Can you help?
    (Again - apologies for all this - I keep thinking I've hit the buffers and then manage to make a little more progress.)
  • For notes, the macro "issue-note-join-with-space" calls on the macro "issue-note" for books. That macro in turn has
    <else-if variable="publisher-place publisher" match="any">
    <group prefix="(" suffix=")" delimiter=", ">

Those are the parentheses you see around (publisher, publication, date).
    The corresponding macro "issue" that's used in the bibliography doesn't have those.
  • Brilliant. That's very helpful indeed. Thank you.

I've had a bash at writing a macro for 'announcing' the abbreviated title for use in subsequent citations. One thing I can't work out how to do is make its use conditional on the Zotero record actually containing something in the field 'Short Title'. If there is nothing specified, it currently uses the same as the full title, but that's (for obvious reasons) not what I want. I'd want the macro to add nothing at all in those circumstances.

I can see that it'll be an <if ....> </if> set of tags, but I can't work out what the first of these would need to contain. The macro "title-short" seems to have references only to a single variable "title", and then uses form="short" to get it to prefer a short over a long title. But it's not obvious how I can use those elements to make it (as it were) check whether the short title field is blank or not.
  • you can test separately for
    <if variable="title-short">
    Also, if you just use <text variable="title-short"/> it will only print something when there is a short title (as opposed to <text variable="title" form="short"/>, which falls back to the full title), so you don't even need an if statement here.
  • Ah .... looking at comments above ...
    There's a variable 'title-short'.
    OK, so now it's a matter of how to construct a condition about whether it is blank or not ........
  • OK. Great. Many thanks.
    I couldn't get the condition to work, but using the title-short variable in the <text .... tag seemed to do the trick.
    I think I'm pretty much good to go. Thanks very very much for your help. This has probably saved a good bit of work on an article even this first time around, and doubtless much more in future instances for myself and others. Much appreciated.
  • Do consider fixing this up to meet the formal requirements and making it more widely available
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
  • (the style is now up, courtesy of eudemus)
  • Thanks. I'll try and write some documentation too, re some non-obvious aspects. Where's the best place to post that?
  • You can put it here as well as into the summary field of the style (or just commented out in the style, typically below the info section.)