ACS Author-Date style

ACS authorizes the use of style with an in text citation of author and date (Taylor, 2013) and a bibliography listing by author and date that is widely used by EPA. I cannot find the style among those offered by Zotero. I am sure the style would be widely used by EPA staff and states with dealings with EPA. Anyone know where I can find such a CSL file?
  • Can you give us a few links to either the ACS or EPA author-date style guides?
  • Here is a link:
    http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/bk-2006-STYG.ch014.
    Thanks for any help you can provide. It seems to be basically the Chicago author-date style, but with a comma in the in text citation. I speak as a beginner.
  • The ACS style already is in the Zotero list of available styles to add, but only the versions that have numbers as in text citations (for use in journals). Modifying the existing ACS style to be author-date based would be sufficient for use in all governmental documents and reports from EPA or states working with them.
  • American Chemical Society (ACS)
  • For some reason the link above is not working. Here is the link again to chapter 14 of the American Chemical Society style manual that describes the author-date version:
    http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/bk-2006-STYG.ch014
  • (the problem is the period at the end of the sentence; the forum software isn't smart enough to recognize that it shouldn't be part of the URL)

If you're lucky @adamsmith will pick this up soonish.
  • Thanks very much! One other issue- Both the Chicago style and the ACS style format bibliographic entries pertaining to pamphlets, bulletins and reports (in particular government ones) the same as books, with the title italicized. Here is a link to the format:

http://rdc.libguides.com/content.php?pid=209056&sid=1742092

http://www.lib.umd.edu/ues/guides/citing-chicago-ad

http://www.unk.edu/uploadedFiles/academics/library/gov_doc/about/Citing%20Government%20Documents%20-%20CMOS%202003.pdf

Zotero does not do this, formatting reports differently than books when using the Chicago or ACS style. The title is not italicized and is in quotes. I could just change the item type from "report" or "bulletin", that comes in with the metadata, to "book", but it would be nice if Zotero formatted them both the same automatically. Perhaps there is some nuance of which I am not aware in the Chicago Style.
  • report also includes working papers, which is why we have them in quotation marks in CMoS (14.228). I'd indeed use the book item type for the types of government reports mentioned there and in CMoS 14.303
  • So do I need to try and develop an American Chemical Society author-date csl file that can be added to the Zotero directory of available citation styles or does someone in Zotero do this or Adam do you do this?
  • I'll likely do it eventually, but it'll happen faster if you do it yourself.
  • I do not have the skill to make more than minimal changes to the Chicago style. This seems to be getting me by, but no where near me posting an official ACS author-date style. If I new how to modify an ACS number citation style to make it an author-date style I suppose that would work, but I do not know how.
  • The style is now up. It will appear on the style repository within 30mins.. (See here if you need instructions for installing styles in standalone.)

Any problems please let us know.
  • Great! Thanks very much.
  • Interview template does not work.

Template:

Author. Affiliation, City, State. Phrase describing the material, Year.

Reference List Example:

Marchese, J. Monroe Community College, Rochester, NY Personal Interview, 2006.
  • This should look a bit better now once you've updated the style (press "Update Now" from the general tab of the Zotero preferences).
    You'll still need to tweak this a bit, since there is no field for affiliation. e.g. putting "Affiliation, City, State. Phrase describing the material" into the title field will work.
  • Thank you very much.
  • The ACS author-date style currently does not add a period at the end of the author field in a bibliography entry. This is only apparent when the author is not a person, which for me is the majority of the time.
    Here is how the bibliography entry now looks:
    U.S. Census Bureau U.S. Census 2010 Data; Utah Automated Geographic Reference Center: Salt Lake City, Utah, 2010.

Here is how it should look:
    U.S. Census Bureau. U.S. Census 2010 Data; Utah Automated Geographic Reference Center: Salt Lake City, Utah, 2010.

Adding a period after the author field as a default would create a double period when the author is a person like this:
    Laraway, W. H.. Geology of the Devil’s Slide Quadrangle, Morgan and Summit Counties, Utah, 1964.

So, can Zotero only add a period when the author is a one field entry or must we remember to add a period manually?
  • Zotero strips double periods, so we can implement that without problems. Will take a little.
  • I would do this myself, but I do not know how to upload modified CSL files to the Zotero library nor do I think I have the rights.
  • Well, I tried. I will have to leave the change to you.
  • I modified the style to add the period after the author and submitted the change for approval.