Zotero VERY slow with new larger library (after import from Endnote)

Hi there,

After a large import from Endnote I now have 14006 total items in my library, and 39019 including all sub-items.

Before the import I probably had 1300 items or so, and probably not more than 5000 including the subs.

My current issue is that Zotero is running slow as molasses if I try to work with the items.

E.g., when I add tags, the first tag generally goes in without a hitch, but when I hit "return" to add another tag Zotero will hang for 10 seconds or so, and it will do it again for every subsequent tag. It will also hang for about 10 seconds when I'm done tagging an item and want to move to another sort of task -- changing info in the main bibliographic data for another entry for instance.

None of the hangs are all that long on my Windows 7 core i7 machine, but the cumulative lag is prohibitive.

Do you have any suggestions about how to speed things up? Looking through prior posts I saw something about setting search indexing to 0 and tried that, but to no effect.

Thanks in advance,

Rich
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for an operation that's slow?
  • OK, I think I sent two reports, didn't catch the number of the first one. The second one is D1475462973.

I added three tags: test, test again, and test again again to a file in the first report. Then sent. Then noticed I didn't have the number copied, saw the program hanging, hit the item lookup icon, had a wait, then submitted another report (that may have included the first one with the tagging too).

Thanks,

Rich
  • How about if you close the tag selector in the bottom left?
  • You're amazing -- that seems to have done a lot to improve things! Simple, easy, better!

Thanks again!

r
  • If you have a lot of automatic tags, you can also try just turning off the display of those from the tag selector menu, though I'm not sure how much that will help.

We'll see what we can do to speed up the tag selector in general for libraries with a very large number of tags.
  • Great -- again, thanks so much for your help, it's made a world of difference.

r
  • One more thing: if you do have a lot of automatic tags and don't find them useful (or just have too large of a database), you can have Zotero not save them automatically by changing the setting in the General pane of the Zotero prefs. There's currently no way in Zotero to batch-delete all automatic tags, though there might be a Zotero plugin that does that.
  • Cool, I didn't know that either. I do find them useful when they're being quick (and they are again now, thanks!), but I hadn't noticed the option in the prefs.

Thanks again for all your help!

r