Zotero standalone not responding after large Endnote import

Hi,

I'm having what I take is the same problem as bwiernik is reporting.

Yesterday I exported a large Endnote library and imported it (I thought successfully) into my Zotero Standalone (on Windows 7) at my work computer.

Beginning last night and continuing this morning I've tried to open and work with my Zotero Standalone on the home computer (also Windows 7) and I get the same problem described above.

The program will open. But when it tries to Sync (either automatically or manually) after a little while (between 30 seconds and a couple minutes in my case) syncing-arrow will stop spinning and if I click anywhere on the Zotero window it will tell me the program is not responding. This will go on with no change, seemingly, for as long as I let it, forcing me eventually force the program to quit.

At that point I get a window telling me that XULRunner is not responding.

I've tried to use the Debug ID function but when I enable debug output reporting and hit "sync" again I don't get any options to send a debug report. The program ceases to respond, I can't use the debug reporting, and have to force the program to quit. Upon re-opening I can't find any way to see or send a report from the previous problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rich
  • How long have you let it go? It looks like your upload went through—you have a huge number of items on the server—and your home computer is just trying to download the new items. Given the way Zotero currently works, this will absolutely freeze Zotero for a while, and the solution is quite likely just to let it go. If you can let it go overnight or when you'll be away from your computer for a few hours, try that.

Alternatively, for this large initial sync you can transfer your data directory to your home computer (assuming there's no data on your home computer that you need to upload) and skip the large download altogether.

The next major version of Zotero will have a new sync architecture that should avoid problems like these with very large libraries.
  • Thanks so much Dan -- you were right, it just needed to be let alone for a few hours (3+ but not much more) and it seems to be back in action.

Much appreciated -- great program!

Rich