Journals as objects?

Zotero supports a large number of item types for the bibliographic records. However, I could not find a type like "journal" or "serial". But we do have databases in our metasearch engine which reference just electronic journals (not the articles, just the journals themselves). Which item type am I supposed to use for this kind of records when writing a site translator?

Heiko
  • There is a ticket for this, but it's not clear when/whether this will happen. For now, I use book item type and put "serial" in abstract. You can then search for [item type=book and abstract=serial] to find all serials.
  • That's ugly. Especially because there sometimes is other information to put in the abstract field. But on the other hand it seems there is no clean alternative solution right now.

I was really astonished to find out that no item type "periodical" (or "serial" or "journal") is currently available, because I don't believe that to be an exotic need?!

I do hope your suggestions in the ticket are are embraced and implemented soon!
  • It may not be "exotic" and seems rather obvious, but OTOH, what other options support it?
  • Don't really understand what you're trying to say. Yes, BibTeX does not provide a "periodical" type either. But does that matter?
    I'd like to be able to gather information on journals relevant to my interests. Maybe as a librarian I've a different point of view than other people, but for me that'd be useful.
    So I believe that a) I've every right to suggest support for this kind of "item" and b) the developers of Zotero have every right to decline my request...
    (The only thing I expect is, that - in case it's declined - the decline comes with an explanation beyond "Hey, others don't do that either" ;-)
    And in case you felt insulted by the word "ugly" - that's not about Zotero. Being a librarian every misuse of metadata fields looks ugly to me and screams for a cleaner solution.
  • I'm trying to say: I totally agree with your request. Indeed, I've spent more than a year working on an independent data model that I expect Zotero will be using that includes periodicals as full class objects, along with a lot of other things (events, collections, etc.).

I was just suggesting that saying you're "astonished" to not see this feature when no other similar applications have it seems a bit much.
  • Excessive expectations perhaps ;-)

Can you make any forecast about when Zotero will start using your revised data model?
  • I can't really, except to say that the first release of the model is out, and the Zotero people have been involve in its development. I wouldn't be surprised to see it, say, when 2.0 is released.

But I don't speak for Zotero, and so don't really know.