Non-breaking space unavailable between initials and names

2»
  • @Rintze: In the Czech is the same situation as in Russian, all the parts should "stay together" (on another site it concludes, that non-breaking spaces for "initialize with" is necessary for Czech too)
  • Oh, and I forgot to ask:

* does anybody here know about any requirements for specific types of non-breaking spaces? E.g. apart from the regular non-breaking space, there is also a narrow non-breaking space.
    * I assume we'd want to prevent line breaks on hyphens as well? (e.g. in names like "J.-L. Picard" or "Jean-Luc Picard", and "Maria Jansen-Steen")
  • narrow non-breaking spaces aren't terribly well supported across fonts. I'd rather we stay away from them.
  • @Rintze
    1. I guess diff types of spaces (incl. non-breakings) matter in some special expressions, like some formulas. And it can be solved directly in filling the fields (smth. like ALT+0000)
    2. Yes! How could I miss that. Thanks!
  • same issue with non-breaking hyphens -- font support is atrocious.
    (you can check your local fonts here: http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/font/fontlist.htm?text=%E2%80%91+-+NON-BREAKING+HYPHEN+%28U%2B2011%29 )
  • @adamsmith: Is it okay to retain these non-breaking elements when present in the style? I'd rather not implicitly clobber them in the processor, since there seems to be a demand for them in some contexts.
  • Absolutely, yes. Leave them alone in the processor so people can customize. I just would like to avoid them inside official styles.