(error-ID 67040912) java related problem with the libreoffice integration on debian wheezy 64

On Debian Wheezy (stable, vanilla installation of libreoffice 3.5.2.4), there appears to be a problem with the LibreOffice-integration of zotero (both in its standalone or plugin version).

The error report says:

[JavaScript Error: "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIServerSocket.init]" {file: "file:///local/zotero/extensions/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration.js" line: 62}]

I tried all advice I could find in the forums, but the problem persists. Java runtime environment is Sun's 1.6.0_27.

Java is activated in LibreOffice via the options-menu.

Thanks in advance for any clues. So far, I stick with RTF-scan (great to have that option); unfortunately, its functionality is still somewhat limited.
  • That error isn't a Java error; it's an error binding to the port LibreOffice uses to communicate with Zotero. Most likely you have multiple copies of Zotero running simultaneously (e.g. Zotero for Firefox and Zotero Standalone with different data directories), in which case you're getting an error report from the wrong copy of Zotero.

What error are you actually seeing on your screen?
  • What I see on the screen: The citation-dialog does not start and LibreOffice hangs. After quite some time, I get the message that OpenOffice [sic!] cannot communicate with zotero and LibreOffice gets responsive again.

Indeed, I have FF-plugin as well as the standalone version of zotero installed; however, the problem also arises if I start only one instance of zotero (regardless whether this is standalone or the ff-plugin).
  • Meanwhile, I could replicate the problem on another machine using the same installation (Debian Wheezy AMD64 LXDE). I also realized that the problem is worse than I thought since on these machines, zotero does not import references from websites.
  • Zotero Standalone ordinarily listens on port 23119 for communication with connectors and port 23116 for communication with LibreOffice, both on loopback, so not accessible to other systems. It sounds like your system settings might be preventing Zotero from doing this.
  • Thanks, Simon! This seems plausible, since at least "lsof -i -P" does not show that 23166 or 23119 are in use. However, being no IT expert, I don't know how to solve the problem. I guess I need to do something with iptables; but then it seems I need to know what kind of connection -- UDP or TCP -- should be established. (Also, I don't want to mess with the firewall without knowing precisely what I'm doing...)
  • Thanks, Simon -- I also was getting the "OpenOffice cannot communicate with Zotero" error (with Libreoffice 4.1 and plugin version 3.5.8), and your comment about loopback made me remember my Debian system often fails to start lo0, and sure enough just issuing
    sudo ifconfig lo up
    made it work.
  • Great; thank you very much, pmcarlton! This solves the problem on my system as well.
  • I finally realized that I (not Debian) had caused the problem by commenting out the wrong lines in

/etc/network/interfaces

when I tried to make network-manager care for the connections.

Hence the problem did not really occur on a "vanilla" installation of Debian -- my apologies!