Javascript API: is var fieldName = "ALL" (or something) possible?

I want use the Javascript API to batch replace corrupted macrons. When I reinstalled, more than 1/2 of my macrons were converted to two-character representations (i.e. vowel + overscore), which doesn't show in Zotero but is clearly visible in Word. (BTW, this is a serious bug.)

I looked at http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/client_coding/javascript_api#examplebatch_editing
and it seems straightforward, but I don't know what variable I should use to affect all fields in all entries.

Is there a "var fieldName" value that I could input to batch replace in every single field in every single entry?

I want to change:
u‾ > ū
o‾ > ō
etc.

There are probably 2500 individual instances that I need to change (in sources I cite regularly), and some more that I would like to. Manual update isn't really an option.

Thank you.
  • Update:

Apologies for suggesting that this is entirely a Zotero issue. I was exhausted and panicked with a deadline looming.

The other culprit is the "Times" font (at least). Changing to Times New Roman (and also Cambria) fixed the issue. The strange thing is that there really is a difference in the Zotero database, because when I fix individual instances with find-replace, they are fixed regardless of font in Word.

I'd still love the answer to my question so that I can put an end to this problem, but it's no longer urgent.

Again, my bad.
  • (BTW, this is a serious bug.)
    I've encountered this problem with some items which were automatically added (through translators). But I can't remember on which website.
    Do you have the same issue with manually added items ? If not, can you provide the link of the faulty website ?
    every single field in every single entry?
    I'm not completely sure but I don't think it's possible (related to this).
  • I don't know if there is an easier solution, but it would be pretty easy to just get a list of all field names (e.g. from here http://aurimasv.github.io/z2csl/typeMap.xml or from the respective place in the code) and then just put them in an array and iterate through them.
  • Thank you both for your replies.

Gracile:
    I've encountered this problem with some items which were automatically added (through translators). But I can't remember on which website.
    Google Scholar seems to be one of the culprits.
    Do you have the same issue with manually added items ?
    I don't have issues with manually added items because I paste the macron-ized vowels from Word in that case.

adamsmith:

Thanks for the suggestion. I might try this... or I might just wait for the 4.2 release that's scheduled to have batch find-replace (right?)
  • re 4.2 - the main feature will be field updates. Batch edit is unfortunately still a maybe as of now.

the macron issue could be related to bibtex somehow (we use GS's bibtex for import). Someone mentioned this in another thread - I know very little about character encoding and afaik Zotero doesn't actually deal with that at all (relying on Firefox for anything encoding related).