Firefox Zotero Listed items all show under "My Library" heading.

I have just installed the Zotero version for Firefox. I noted that all items listed in categories and subcategories are also listed under the main heading "My Library".

Is there a way of undoing this, so that items are listed only under a category/subcategory heading?
  • No, this is not possible (there's also nothing to undo, it's just how this works).

My Library lists all of the items in your library. The collections simply contain references to these items. This is why copying items to different collections does not actually create new items, it just creates copies of references to the items in your library.

If you want to see the items that are not in any of the collections, use "Unfiled Items" special collection. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the problem is with having all the items in My Library.
  • To aurimas:
    I have no real problem with seeing them in two locations. I just thought that converting from standalone to Firefox based might have duplicated the entries. under My Library.

So all under My Library are the real items and those under category headings are references?
  • To aurimus and Dan Stillman
    OK, I read the documentation on collections. Thanks, Dan, for link to it. It explains what I was wondering about. I just haven't used Zotero very much.
  • Yes. If you delete something from My Library it will be gone from all collections. If you remove something from a collection it will still be in My Library (and other collections), though note that you can choose to move an item to trash right from the collection, which essentially is the same as deleting from My Library.
  • And note that switching back and forth between Standalone and Zotero for Firefox has no effect on your database. You can go back and forth as much as you like. As long as they're sharing the same data directory (which they should by default) Zotero for Firefox will automatically switch into "connector mode"—mostly just the address bar icon—when Standalone is opened.