Easier access to tags (GUI concerns)

I tend to use Zotero as part of Firefox, open at the bottom of the window and occupying about 1/3 of my display.

I find it very difficult to grab the little bar and open up the tags pane (panel?). Usually, to access tags requires that I expand Zotero up to half or more of the display, then grab the little bar and open the pane. The bar itself is quite small and requires accurate mousing (and induces a bit of stress).

I know that the GUI is a very difficult issue, but I wonder if it would be possible to make this easier? Even just a grippier bar would make this easier.

Ideally, what about a pop-up toolbar for tags - one that could be minimized when not in use, but which would be larger and perhaps occupy much of the left-hand side of the display when in use? Any chance that all the panels could float as independent windows, somewhat like the toolbars of Adobe Photoshop and similar programs?

Thanks for considering it.
  • There is keyboard shortcut to toggle the tag selector

http://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/shortcut_keys

You can adjust the size of the tag selector by pulling the bar up.

I do agree that a bit larger bar would be a good idea. (Maybe one that would say "tags" and contain arrows pointing up to show that it can be exposed)

I would be against floating windows, because these increase the amount of time that you need to spend on managing the windows and can be complicated on multimonitor (and multi desktop) setups.
  • while yes, there's a keyboard shortcut, the tag selector toggle is indeed impossibly hard to find.