[MLZ] Cannot start Zotero after reinstall

My Mac's logic board failed and I replaced it. The failed board had caused numerous potential OS/software issues, I was told, so I wiped my HDD and reinstalled.

After reinstalling FF, the first thing I did was to install Zotero's multilingual version (thanks Frank Bennett!) Currently, addon manager shows me running: 3.0.11m322

I can open and edit Zotero settings, but when I try to open the browser pane or tab, I get the following error:
警告:Zoteroを起動するときにエラーが発生しました。
Roughly:
"Warning: An error occurred when starting Zotero."
Not the verbose error one hopes for.

At present, I have no other extensions installed.

I should mention that the monolingual version works fine (4.0.9)

Any thoughts?
  • edited July 31, 2013
    (Be sure to include "[MLZ]" in your subject when posting about MLZ to make it clear you're not referring to the official version and so that Frank is more likely to notice it. I've edited your subject for this thread.)
  • We don't provide support for MLZ, but I imagine Frank would still want you to follow the instructions for Reporting Startup Errors.
  • Though, 3.0.11m22? Isn't that very old?
  • it is indeed. Current MLZ version is Ver. 4.0m372
  • and as a further thought - as opposed to vanilla Zotero, Frank did change the database schema for MLZ between those two versions, so it's not surprising that using what I'd guess is a 4.0m database with a 3.0 version of Zotero wouldn't work.
    I'd start by installing the most recent version from citationstylist.org
  • Late to the party, sorry.

Nathan: Let's get started.

The 3.0.11m322 MLZ release is very old, and it's almost certain that the terse error you're getting is just due to the fact that it's not compatible with recent versions of Firefox. As adamsmith says, you need to install a more recent version of MLZ. The latest is 4.0m373.

Depending on the state of the library that you want to use with MLZ, installing the more recent version may upgrade the database. As the note on http://citationstylist.org/tools says, the MLZ database schema differs from mainstream Zotero, so once you run MLZ on a library, it is simplest to stay with it, unless you have a very strong reason to move back to official Zotero. It is possible to move back, however.

A significant advantage of the later MLZ version is that it support sync of multilingual data. If you run into any problems with the upgrade process, post back and I'll help you sort things out.