European letters ÅåÄäÖöÆæØø etc

I manage to import my refernces from EndNote but all Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and German letters turned into ?. I tried a lot of different text-file format but non of them worked. Export ÅåÆæØø from Zotero also gives a coding of these letters that are not possible to open them as far as I have tried (Open as function in text program).

Yours

Per Person from Sweden now in Norway
  • Which version of endnote? The UTF-8 support in that program is somewhat recent & many of the text-based export formats may not use it in even the newer versions by default.

Are the characters present when you open the files in a text editor? What character encoding do the files use?
  • Fixed! Fine!

I use EndNote 7. There are no options for the text-format-export.

As I now know that the formate should be UTF-8 I oppened the exported file from EndNote in a text-editor (UltraEdit) and saved it again in UTF-8 formate. Then I imported it into Zotero and it worked.

Nice program! I think will try it out more in detail. I have just started to scan all my handwritten notes. I store them in pdf (>1000 files) but it turned out that it was hard to find the file in the computer therefor I start looking for a program to sort them out for me.

Yours

Per P.
  • Per's method works even for EndNote 3:

> Export in RefMan.ens format (txt format)
    > Open in Wordprocessor
    > Save as UTF-8
    > Import in Zotero

dirk