using .docx or .doc for fields format

Wondering if I can save as .docx (using MacWord11) for fields (and references)? The doc preferences box (when I'm adding a citation to a new document) says for fields:

"The document must be saved in the .doc file format."

I've previously just used .doc but now that I've finally gotten a later version of office, it seems like using the most current format makes more sense? But I don't want to compromise my citations in the document. Also, I'll need to share the document w/ committee members who often don't look at file formats when saving, so they'll just save as default .docx). I want to be able to keep the citations live in each new version of the document (thus using references feature) Hope this makes sense. Thanks.
  • docx works the same as doc, yes. No promises about sending the file back and forth with committee members - while that _should_ work, it's certainly possible for them to remove the fields by accident (e.g. by using LibreOffice)

(@Simon - we should update that text)
  • thx for the quick response. i'd love the committee to use libre office but that's not likely to happen which is why i've resorted to using word. as long as everyone is using the same program hopefully the fields will stay through the editing process.
  • docx didn't work in the past, because LibreOffice incorrectly reads document properties (https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=51867). I'm not sure if this has been fixed.
  • but that means docx may not work with bookmarks using LO and Word. It works just fine with Fields, right? That's the text I wanted to change.
  • I think it's the same string for both right now, but I can split it.