How do I get rid of the grey highlighting?

I submitted an article to an editor and he complained that my end notes had grey highlighting that he could not remove. I used MS Word 2007 with the Zotero plugin. I could not see the grey on my end. I tried to fix the problem by selecting the text and turning color and highlighting to "no color", but this did not fix the problem for him. I re-sent the file saved as Word 97-2003 in case it was a problem of Word version but this did not fix it.

Does anyone have any insight about how to control this "feature"? Many thanks in advance.
  • You want to press "remove field codes" in the Word plugin in a copy of the document. Make sure to keep a copy of the document with the Zotero field codes for future editing - this breaks all links to Zotero.

It's also possible to just make the grey invisible (Somewhere Word has a setting for shading Fields, which is what these are), but I'd council against that and most editors/publishers will frown at having fields inserted by reference managers even if they're not shaded.
  • http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#plugin_toolbar : Zotero Remove Codes button.
    You should make a copy (and keep it) before using the button though.
  • Adamsmith, might I ask why you advise against making the grey invisible? Previously, my version of Word never shaded field codes and now it has randomly begun to do so which I find distracting. Thanks.
  • In general I find it helpful to know what the Zotero inserted parts of your document are. Specifically, there can be situations when you type in word and your additions become part of the Zotero field (which then becomes a problem on updating the document). It's good to spot those right away.
    But obviously that's "council against" - not "strongly discourage", so if you're happier without, by all means turn off the shading.
  • Great, I always appreciate your insight, thanks.
  • click the option to open the 'Word Options' dialog box displays. When the 'Word Options' dialog box appears, click “Advanced” button. Next, scroll down to the “Show document content” section and locate “Field shading” option. Thereafter, click on the drop-down arrow of the option and select “Never”
    - from http://www.thewindowsclub.com/remove-field-shading-in-word