Sharing Library with Research Assistant

Can I share My Library or do I need to move or copy that into a Group Library and invite her?
  • there is no real library sharing, no, you probably want to handle this with a group and copy into that. (You could theoretically use the same account and share your library like that, but since she seems to have her own Zotero account already that sounds like a recipe for chaos&disaster in this case).
  • Can you walk me through how to copy My Library to Group Library? I have 800+ items. I want to copy not move them I believe.
  • just drag them over collection by collection - or do you have too many collections for that to be viable?
  • no just one big collection all in my library. So when I drag it over it will copy, not move, the items?
  • I'm doing something stupid and do not seem to be able to move the collection, My Library, to the Group Library.
    When I tried to drag them it created a mess of duplicates in My Library. Those I have to merge item by item I suppose. What am I doing wrong?
  • Hm - it sounds like you're not dragging them to the Group Library?
    Also, very unlikely these would be duplicates - one single item can be in multiple collections.
  • I am clicking on the folder called Book Project and drag it to the Group Libraries icon and nothing happens. I went out and back into Firefox. I'm missing something basic here but do not know what it is.
  • Try to drag a single item (make sure it's not one of the item's she shared with you previously) to confirm this is working in general.
    If it's not working, your RA (or you, if you're the group owner) needs to change the permissions for the group so you have edit permission.

If you can drag a single item, the problem might be that some of the items are already in the group - I'm not 100% sure what Zotero does in those cases, but the entire copy operation might fail.
  • Thanks, we have it working
  • It moves, not copies... when moving from my individual acocunt to the group I created. darn.

I hope my collaborator manages to make an account and find the group. There could be better instructions here for that.(request)
  • When you drag&drop to a group, Zotero definitely copies and does not move. It is, in fact, impossible to move items to a group in a single operation.
    For anything beyond that, start a separate thread, please