Syncing issue 4.08

I have been trying to sync since updating to 4.08 on OSX 10.8.4. It seems to sync some files, but consistently has been hanging.

It seems to be similar to the problem reported on ID Report ID: 1020639514.

I have quit and restarted multiple times over the past week or so, which seems to have helped get through files. But it looks like it's still having issues.
  • Conflicts have suspended automatic syncing.

Click the sync icon to resolve them.
    Have you done this? If so, can you be more specific about the problem?
  • edited July 15, 2013
    Oh, wait, 1020639514 isn't actually your Report ID. Someone else's Report ID is unlikely to be relevant to any issue you're facing.

Can you explain the exact problem you're facing and provide a Report ID of your own?
  • I don't have a report ID. The report ID menu is not active.

inexplicably, I restarted Zotero standalone this morning and I no longer see that there is anything to sync. Seems as if it finally has completed the sync process. I have checked for the latest files added against the server, and they appear to be present.

Thank you for your quick response.
  • I am again experiencing problems with syncing. It appears that syncing starts, but just doesn't progress past a certain point. It had appeared that this had resolved, but it re-appeared just recently as I began to add new files to the database.

There is no error.
  • Report ID

• Your socket connection to the server was not read from or written to within the timeout period. Idle connections will be closed.
    This is a message from the Amazon servers during file syncing.

Can you install the latest 4.0 Branch dev XPI and generate a Debug ID for a sync attempt that stalls?

Also, how fast is your Internet connection? Most recent reports of this have been from very slow connections. Are you connecting via a proxy server of some sort?
  • I am on at least a T1. But it looks like going to 4.09 is working. Will report if not.
  • I don't think 4.0.9 actually addresses anything that would affect this. More likely it was just an intermittent network issue. If you manage to reproduce it reliably, provide a Debug ID with the 4.0 dev XPI.
  • It looked like all was working this morning. But having issues with the sync not completing.

I am running standalone 4.09 now on Mac OSX 10.8.4. I don't use Firefox. Does the XPI install using Standalone version?

Thank you
  • no, the dev versions are for the Firefox plugin only, the Standalone typically only gets built for release.

If you want to help troubleshoot this you can install Firefox and the Plugin - it will, by default, share the same data directory, so you can just use it to test syncing.
  • OK. Here is The Debug ID - D47430887.

I submitted it after about 30 seconds or so after clicking the sync.
  • edited July 30, 2013
    That appears to have still been going when you submitted it. Hover over the blue progress bar to monitor file sync progress.
  • It appears stalled on this ID - The Debug ID is D1976286394
  • Yup. I'm having some kind of router issue. Didn't notice it with regular email and simple file uploads. But connecting to upload and speed were really aweful at best. Connected direct to the wall (at office), and upload speed went to 61Mbps. Of course, then the sync worked rapidly.

Have no idea what is going on with my little linksys.. but it certainly is the source of the problem. Thanks much for sticking with me and taking all the time that you did. Your support has been extremely great and incredibly quick.

Thank you.
  • OK, yeah—we're still trying to figure out why Zotero doesn't deal well with slow/troubled connections, but that'd be the culprit.