"et al" in italic ?

• Hi,
    I am editing the harvard reference 1 style to fit my university's regulations on referencing. I have managed to make all of the changes except getting the et al in the in text citations. I am using csl 1.0 and can only get the citation to appear in italics if the name is not in the short form. I was wondering if anyone could give me more detail on how to do this.

Many thanks,
  • From your note, I'm not sure whether you're having trouble with et al. or with italics ... could you describe the effect you want to produce a little more fully?
  • For what it's worth, the following produces an et al. trailer in italics in the citeproc-js test framework. It should work in Zotero as well: <citation
    et-al-min="3"
    et-al-use-first="1">
    <layout>
    <names variable="author">
    <name form="short"/>
    <et-al font-style="italic"/>
    </names>
    </layout>
    </citation>
  • Thanks, that is the effect I want to produce. It appears to work in that the et al does become italic. However, it causes the year part of the citation to be lost. And seems to override all of the bibliography. Any suggestions?
  • Have you validated you style file? If it is invalid, it will produce weird behavior. Please paste in there, click "Create Public Gist", and then post the url back here.

https://gist.github.com/
  • This is the style I am editing. In general it is some basic modifications on the harvard1 style. git://gist.github.com/814319.git
  • the style doesn't validate:

#

Error: Element sort from namespace http://purl.org/net/xbiblio/csl not allowed as child of element layout from namespace http://purl.org/net/xbiblio/csl in this context. (Suppressing further errors from this subtree.)

From line 217, column 1; to line 217, column 6

↩↩ <
    #

Error: Attribute demote-non-dropping-particle not allowed on element bibliography from namespace http://purl.org/net/xbiblio/csl at this point.

From line 230, column 1; to line 230, column 110

tion>↩ ↩↩↩ ↩
  • To fix the errors adamsmith identified, you have to move the <sort> element out of <layout> (see http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#sorting ), and move demote-non-dropping particle from <bibliography> to <style> (see http://citationstyles.org/downloads/specification.html#name-part-order).
  • Hello,

I just translate my 0.8.1 CSL into 1.0 as explain here : http://citationstyles.org/downloads/upgrade-notes.html#using-upgrade-xsl

Now I try to get the new Et-al feature to work... My problem is that with firefox (chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul) everything seams to work.

For example I get this result :

Single Citations
    (Bell et al., 2001)
    Multi Citations (all with position "first")
    (Bell et al., 2001)
    Bibliography
    Bell, J. G., J. McEvoy, D. R. Tocher, F. McGhee, P. J. Campbell et J. R. Sargent, 2001. Replacement of Fish Oil with Rapeseed Oil in Diets of Atlantic Salmon (Salmo salar) Affects Tissue Lipid Compositions and Hepatocyte Fatty Acid Metabolism. Journal of Nutrition 131:1535-1543.

But in OOo version 3.3.1 (build 9420) under Ubuntu 9.10 with Zotero plugin 3.5a1

I don't get my et al. italized...

Here my CSL style that I would like to publish when the et-al feature will be enabled :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <style xmlns="http://purl.org/net/xbiblio/csl"; class="in-text" default-locale="fr-FR" version="1.0" demote-non-dropping-particle="sort-only">
    <info>
    <title>ToCome</title>
    <id>ToCome</id>
    <link href="ToCome" rel="self"/>
    <author>
    <name>ToCome</name>
    <email>richard_vezina@uqar.qc.ca</email>
    <uri>http://www.uqar.ca/</uri>;
    </author>
    <category citation-format="author-date"/>
    <category field="biology"/>
    <updated>2011-05-11T07:43:24+00:00</updated>
    <rights>This work is licensed under a Creative Commons CC BY-NC-SA 3.0
    </rights>
    </info>
    <macro name="container-contributors">
    <choose>
    <if type="chapter paper-conference" match="any">
    <text term="in" prefix=" " suffix=" " font-style="italic"/>
    <names variable="editor translator" delimiter=", " suffix=" ">
    <name and="text" initialize-with=". " delimiter=", "/>
    <label form="long" prefix=" (" suffix=")"/>
    </names>
    </if>
    </choose>
    </macro>
    <macro name="secondary-contributors">
    <choose>
    <if type="chapter paper-conference" match="none">
    <names variable="editor translator" delimiter=", " prefix=" (" suffix=")">
    <name and="text" initialize-with=". " delimiter=", "/>
    <label form="short" prefix=", " text-case="capitalize-first" suffix="." strip-periods="true"/>
    </names>
    </if>
    </choose>
    </macro>
    <macro name="author">
    <name name-as-sort-order="first" and="text" sort-separator=", " initialize-with=". " delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="never"/>
    <label form="short" prefix=" (" suffix=".)" text-case="capitalize-first" strip-periods="true"/>
    <substitute>
    <names variable="editor"/>
    <names variable="translator"/>
    </substitute>
    </names>
    </macro>
    <macro name="author-short">
    <name form="short" and="text" delimiter=" " initialize-with=". "/>
    <et-al font-style="italic" prefix=" "/>
    <substitute>
    <choose>
    <if type="bill book graphic legal_case motion_picture report song" match="any">
    <text variable="title" form="short" font-style="italic"/>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text variable="title" form="short" quotes="true"/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </substitute>
    </names>
    </macro>
    <macro name="publisher">
    <text variable="genre" suffix=", "/>
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text variable="publisher"/>
    <text variable="publisher-place"/>
    </group>
    </macro>
    <macro name="event">
    <text variable="event"/>
    <text variable="event-place" prefix=", "/>
    </macro>
    <macro name="issued">
    <choose>
    <if variable="issued">
    <group prefix=" " suffix=".">
    <date variable="issued">
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>
    <choose>
    <if type="bill book graphic legal_case motion_picture report song article-journal chapter paper-conference" match="none">
    <date variable="issued">
    <date-part prefix=", " name="month"/>
    <date-part prefix=" " name="day"/>
    </date>
    </if>
    </choose>
    </group>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text prefix=" (" term="no date" suffix=")." form="short"/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </macro>
    <macro name="issued-year">
    <choose>
    <if variable="issued">
    <date variable="issued">
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text term="no date" form="short"/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </macro>
    <macro name="edition">
    <choose>
    <if type="bill book graphic legal_case motion_picture report song chapter paper-conference" match="any">
    <choose>
    <if is-numeric="edition">
    <number variable="edition" form="ordinal" prefix=", "/>
    <text term="edition" form="long" prefix=" " suffix=","/>
    </if>
    <else>
    <text variable="edition" suffix=","/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </if>
    </choose>
    </macro>
    <macro name="locators">
    <choose>
    <if type="article-journal article-magazine article-newspaper" match="any">
    <text variable="container-title" prefix=". "/>
    <text variable="volume" prefix=" "/>
    <text variable="page" prefix=":"/>
    </if>
    <else-if type="bill book graphic legal_case motion_picture report song chapter paper-conference" match="any">
    <text macro="container-contributors"/>
    <text macro="secondary-contributors"/>
    <text variable="container-title"/>
    <group prefix=". " suffix=" " delimiter=" ">
    <label variable="page" form="long" text-case="capitalize-first"/>
    <text variable="page"/>
    </group>
    </else-if>
    </choose>
    </macro>
    <macro name="citation-locator">
    <group>
    <label variable="locator" form="short"/>
    <text variable="locator" prefix=" "/>
    </group>
    </macro>
    <citation et-al-min="3" et-al-use-first="1" disambiguate-add-year-suffix="true" disambiguate-add-names="true" disambiguate-add-givenname="true" collapse="year">
    <sort>
    <key macro="author"/>
    <key variable="issued"/>
    </sort>
    <layout prefix="(" suffix=")" delimiter="; ">
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="author-short"/>
    <text macro="issued-year"/>
    <text macro="citation-locator"/>
    </group>
    </layout>
    </citation>
    <bibliography hanging-indent="false" entry-spacing="0">
    <sort>
    <key macro="author"/>
    <key variable="issued"/>
    </sort>
    <layout suffix=".">
    <text macro="author" suffix=","/>
    <text macro="issued" suffix=" "/>
    <group suffix="">
    <text variable="title"/>
    <text macro="locators"/>
    <text macro="edition"/>
    </group>
    <group delimiter=", ">
    <text macro="publisher"/>
    </group>
    </layout>
    </bibliography>
    </style>

I put the et-al italic option into this block :

<name form="short" and="text" delimiter=" " initialize-with=". "/>
    <et-al font-style="italic" prefix=" "/>

Thanks

Richard
  • csl-wise this is correct. Have you tried this with a fresh document in Ooo, inserting just one citation?
  • Ok, in a new document it works fine... How can I resolve the problem of my old document? I tried to copy everything in a new document without luck... I would prefer to not have to change anything to my document that count a little more than an hundred pages...

Thanks

Richard
  • What were the exact steps you went through? If you copy the text into a new document, select your new version of the style, and click "Refresh", the et al. elements should be italicized automatically by the style. (The only exceptions would be any citations that you are customizing with the "Show Editor" window.)
  • Frank - I was thinking this might be related to one of the older bugs where all italics in citations stopped working (afaics these are the only italics in the style)? Is that fixed in 2.1.6 or only on the trunk?
  • edited May 11, 2011
    @adamsmith: I think you're right. I just checked back through the changelogs, and Zotero 2.1.6 is running the 1.0.148 version of the processor, which doesn't include that fix.

@cesium: Figure that this will be broken until the next release of Zotero comes out (version 2.1.7).
  • I do have 2.1.6 and it look like the problem describe by Adam...

I wait you were on a short version schedule in the last update. Hope it gonna continue like this, so I will get the 2.1.7 soon.

Thanks for your help.

I will try what first propose fbennett and report, but as I wrote I would prefer to not have to redo the layout.

Richard
  • Hi,

I am trying to italicize "et al" in an adapted version of the "Harvard - adapted for Leeds Met" style for use with my students (Oxford Brookes Business School).

I have tried to implement the suggestions in this thread, but wherever I put the italicization it appears to be overridden somehow.

I have tried it here (apologies for lack of blockquote - couldn't see how to do it):

<name form="short" and="symbol" delimiter=", " delimiter-precedes-last="never" initialize-with=". " />
    <et-al font-style="italic" />
    <substitute>
    <text macro="anon"/>
    </substitute>
    </names>
    </macro>

(nb: "et al" will only appear in citations not bibligraphy, so although there is a macro for "author" it wouldn't be required there)

I've also tried it in this section (everywhere there's a blank line):

<citation>

<option name="et-al-min" value="3"/>
    <option name="et-al-use-first" value="1"/>
    <option name="et-al-subsequent-min" value="3"/>
    <option name="et-al-subsequent-use-first" value="1"/>
    <option name="disambiguate-add-year-suffix" value="true"/>
    <option name="disambiguate-add-names" value="true"/>
    <option name="disambiguate-add-givenname" value="true"/>
    <layout prefix="(" suffix=")" delimiter="; ">
    <group delimiter=", ">

<text macro="author-short"/>

<text macro="year-date"/>
    <group>
    <label variable="locator" suffix="." form="short"/>
    <text variable="locator"/>

</group>
    </group>
    </layout>

I'm not familiar with XML though I've managed to work out how to do most other formatting changes I need with the reference documents provided.

I am using the testing page at

chrome://zotero/content/tools/csledit.xul

TIA.
  • It looks like you have been modifying a CSL 0.8.1 style (you would have that older version on your computer if you used Zotero prior to version 2.1). The easiest solution is to start from the CSL 1.0 version, which you can find in the style repository: http://www.zotero.org/styles/harvard-leeds-met

CSL 1.0 was the first CSL version to support "et al" italicization.
  • Thank you Rintze. I didn't realise I was picking up an old version. I'll rework the CSL 1.0 version.
  • Hello ! I'm currently working on 'cell' citation model. Do you know how can i put 'et al.' in italic in the text? I can't find the right place to enter it in the style edition...
  • If you have something like
    <name name-as-sort-order="all" initialize-with="." and="text" delimiter-precedes-last="always"/>
    </names><code> for an author, then

<code><names variable="author">
    <name name-as-sort-order="all" initialize-with="." and="text" delimiter-precedes-last="always"/>
    <et-al font-style="italic"/>
    </names>

Will put et al in italics.
  • Thank you for your answer !

It seems to work because there aren't any messge of error, but no modification in the preview.

So, I register the modification as "Cellmodified.csl" in my zotero files but I can't load it in my style gestionary.

Do you know what's happening here?
  • which preview are you referring to?
  • The one you see just below while you're editing the code of the journal in the 'style edition' tab :)
  • we'd need to see the code for cell modified to say more . Paste to hastebin.com, click on the "New" button (page with + sign) and provide the link here.
  • Here's the link for my modified 'Cell' style :
    https://hastebin.com/abukuhimer.xml
    I only put this supplementary line :
    (like you told me above)
  • Right, that would work for the bibliography. If you want it for the in-text citations, do the same in the author-short macro.
  • It works ! Thank you ! However, everytime I close Zotero, I have to upload the new version of cell.csl (called cellmodified.csl) for my Zotero files. I don't know if we can do otherwise...
  • You need to change the style title and id fields at the top of the style to avoid it being overwritten again by the official Cell style.
  • Thank you for all your expanations ! How could I edit the id field because it's an url for the site zotero?
  • The ID doesn’t need to be a real link. Just change it to anything else.