Style Error: [British Journal of Cancer]

Hi,
I'm about to submit an article to British Journal of Cancer and noticed a few errors in the citation style available (on the 2nd of July 2013).

1- Citation in the text:

- Existing style
(Ferlay et al., 2010)

- Published articles
(Ferlay et al, 2010)

DIFFERENCES
Italic for « et al » (not visible on this forum message obviously)
No dot after et al

2- References at the end of article:

- Existing style
Therasse, P., Arbuck, S.G., Eisenhauer, E.A., Wanders, J., Kaplan, R.S., Rubinstein, L., Verweij, J., Van Glabbeke, M., van Oosterom, A.T., Christian, M.C., and Gwyther, S.G. (2000). New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, National Cancer Institute of the United States, National Cancer Institute of Canada. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 92, 205–216.

- Published articles
Therasse, P, Arbuck, SG, Eisenhauer, E.A., Wanders, J., Kaplan, R.S., Rubinstein, L., Verweij, J., Van Glabbeke, M., van Oosterom, A.T., Christian, M.C., and Gwyther, S.G. (2000) New guidelines to evaluate the response to treatment in solid tumors. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer, National Cancer Institute of the United States, National Cancer Institute of Canada. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 92: 205–216.

DIFFERENCES
first names with no dot
no dot after the year
: after the volume number (instead of , )

Thanks a lot for the correction,

Julie
  • Hi,

I fixed the style as I could. It works for my article.

https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5958576

Could you please update the code on the repository ?

Thanks
    Julie
  • thanks - will take a little, but I'll update asap.
  • I only noticed that the abbreviated name of journals have now dots:

J. Natl. Cancer. Inst.

instead of the previous style (which is the good one on this point)
    J Natl Cancer Inst

This change did not appear in the Style editor whil I was correcting the style. I know neither where it comes from nor how to correct it...
  • Take this line: (L. 89)
    https://gist.github.com/anonymous/5958576#file-zotero-citation-style-bristish-journal-of-cancer-L89

and change it to
    <text variable="container-title" form="short" font-style="italic" strip-periods="true"/>
  • (the reason this changed is that Zotero by default now uses a Journal and word lists for abbreviations rather than taking them from the Journal Abbr. field).
  • Well, it is a good news since we will not always have to fill in this field.

But the issue with this is that the listed abbreviated names (that we can not edit) has "long" abbreviations compared to the "ISO Abbreviation" available on http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nlmcatalog

For instance, the Journal
    "Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology"

ISSN 1527-7755

==> usual (ISO) abbreviation: J Clin Oncol
    ==> listed abbreviation: J Clin Oncol Off J Am Soc Clin Oncol

I don't know if editors will care but it's too bad...

Julie
  • Do you know how to take the Journal Abbr. field again ?
  • You can uncheck the option to use the list in the Document Preferences of the Word/LibreOffice plugin.

That said, in the case above I'd argue the Journal Title is simply entered wrongly. I don't think any style using full journal titles would want you to include the part after the colon. If you change the journal title to Journal of clinical oncology, the abbreviated version will come out fine.
  • The style fix is now up. It will show up on the repository within 30mins. It may take up to 24hs for the preview to work.
    If you submit corrections or additions to the style in the future, please always work with the most recent copy from the style repository, as we frequently adjust the formatting of styles slightly.

Thank you for contributing!